Mr Red

I think I need to go to the UK to "Study"!!

I'm not sure if I can ship tamiya overseas but perhaps! haha I have a local shop that stocks it!

You've got mail ;)

Back on-topic, as other have said, Mr Red looks excellent! I'm looking forward to seeing him completed :)

Amazing work! Just love those shoulder pads in particular.

Out of curiosity, I think you mentioned you model other genres? What else do you model? I'm thinking perhaps historical miniatures?

let's see:

awesome freehand battle damage-check

awesome freehand chapter badge-check

awesome freehand two color lenses-check

awesome freehand painted base-check

complete desire to go hang myself-well maybe not, but I will say that we demand a tutorial on your helmet lenses!

the Four Armies is watching,

prime

Forgive me for the absence, work has been very intense the last two weeks (I'm a graduate student), and I've taken the time to upgrade my painting situation a small bit with a few model acrylics to balance out the canvas acrylics with poor coverage. I'll keep you update when the chest eagle is finished, it's taken up more than a few hours at this point!

-Pete

Well I've been fiddling with how to do the black armour and settled for something similar to what's around the upper legs.

battle damage on the left shoulderpad seems to have worked, I'll likely do a similar edge for the other one, minus damage.
Kneecaps in gold, but will get a whole pile of ornament stuff on them

and the chest eagle. Well, I don't know about it yet. The execution doesn't quite match the vision in my head, I don't think I'm skilled enough yet to paint crumbling paint for the chest eagle. tempted to scrub it and redo it completely!

ideas are welcome!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7321/8745896054_d7f68435b8_z.jpg

I know I've already said it, but the amount of detail in that mini is astounding ^_^  I'd love to see what you're capable of with a multi-part mini! The detail on the Aquila is spot on to me, the "scratches" on the helmet are just right and the damage on the shoulder guard looks great ^_^

here's a better view of the eagle, I dropped a bit of the metal on the left to look more natural and added some hazard stripes to the leg, along with a metal grill.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/8747283051_99a1c58a39_z.jpg

Regarding how I've been painting this so far:

well the answer is lots and lots of layers of black-red mixes over black. I really haven't done this in a long time and I'm sure there's a more efficient way of doing this (maybe with an extender, or paints that don't come solid out of an aluminum tube..) but well this is what I've got.

Everything here has been painted with a palette of cadmium red hue, burnt sienna, and cadmium yellow medium hue. This plus mars black, titanium white and windsor blue. I just got my hands on some GW paints, of which I have leadbelcher, runefang steel, gehenna gold, and auric gold.

I know this may not be of much assistance, since you're probably working with GW paints, however the basic idea was bring up black until brownish, and then progressively layer lighter and lighter shades of red higher and higher up the shoulder until finished.

hope that helps!

-Pete

I think I might as well post a few real in progress pictures, should give an idea as to my method for painting things extra to the armor, 
no it's not a daisy.

should be fun! I think this is about 4x real life so should give you a really good idea of what's going on
-Pete

sketching with paint:
I have no idea what I'm doing. this is a few light coats to lay down proportions, pretty much involves adjusting lines on the fly, 
I've started with a quick 'star' in silver, which isn't too noticeable, and used that as a guide to start laying down some lines.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7294/8748838574_103297c5dd_z.jpg

begin ironing out detail, from the most difficult part outwards:
in this case the black isn't deep enough yet, taking photos and blowing them up tells you lots about your painting!!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8545/8747990401_667b881faa_z.jpg

Archived