An actual Codex Astartes Assault company done right?

Hyaenidae

So, in IA: 9, there is an independant Character for the Fire Hawks by the name of Captain Elam Courbray. What's cool about him is that you can trade your normal combat tactics for the ability to use Assault and Vanguard Vets as scoring units. He can even give his command squad jump packs for a small price. So, the question is, if you were using such a Captain, and were building a very assault oriented C:SM army, how would you go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have been thinking on this problem for a while now. Some time ago I had concluded that a C:SM allied C:BA list was the way to go. And then Stormravens got added to codex marines and that made me want to leave C:BA out. As of yet I still haven't worked out a list, but I have some things I think I want.

1. Face wrecking HQ.

2. Ironclad dreads

3. Stormravens

4. Assault squads (obviously)

This IA character you mention brings a new wrinkle to the equation may have to buy those books after all.

So, are the Ironclads really that good? I've never really used them, nor faced them. I will admit that I almost had an impulse buy when I saw the FW Hurricane Bolter arm, lol.

What exactly do you mean by "Face-wrecking"? I mean, being able to take a flying Command Squad would be pretty gnarly, but how to equip them considering they are flying?

With Vanguards being able to be used as scoring units, would they finally be worth their points? I imagine they could be absolutely vicious when tis is mixed in with their Heroic Intervention (?) rule.

I've not had the chance to play any of these ideas, so...take my thoughts with that in mind. However, from what I've read here on the B&C Ironclads can be very effective tank busters when dropped close in. There is an Ironclad thread around somewhere with lots of info.

"Face-wrecking" is a reference to my excessive fanboyism for space marines.teehee.gif Just ignore.

A flying command squad would be tough. My first thought would be power swords all around and let them eat troops. Maybe one fist or hammer for flavor.

Even if they are scoring jp vanguard vets may well just be a point sink. They are just too expensive.

If you wanted to do an Assault Company on the tabletop, why would you not just use C:BA?

The only thing you'd lose is the relic blade on your Captain/Vanguard Sergeant, but in the case of the Captain, that's just a matter of allying a C:SM one in on a bike so you can have a bike squad as your allied Troops choice.

If you want pure jump packs, C:BA is the best way to go.

Or is the question aimed primarily at using only C:SM? In which case I'd ask what exactly you're trying to achieve (beyond 'purity of essence', anyway).

So, in IA: 9, there is an independant Character for the Fire Hawks by the name of Captain Elam Courbray. What's cool about him is that you can trade your normal combat tactics for the ability to use Assault and Vanguard Vets as scoring units. He can even give his command squad jump packs for a small price. So, the question is, if you were using such a Captain, and were building a very assault oriented C:SM army, how would you go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Courbray really isn't all that good.  If you want to do a codex assault company, I would recommend using Shadow Captain Korvydae; he actually lets you take assault marines as troops (so no more giving up VPs in the scouring), as well as giving his squad hit and run and being beastly in and of himself (AA, JP, MB, TH) so he is great in duels, and being cheap.

The only reason to take courbray is if you desperately want to have scoring vanguard, which really isn't helpful. Bonus: he doesn't get rid of combat tactics.

While I wouldn't particularly recommend either in a competitive setting, one is clearly superior to the other.  If you really want competitive assault marines, C:BA or a SAV army are necessary.  Or Tyberos, who gives you troops Assault terminators.

If you wanted to do an Assault Company on the tabletop, why would you not just use C:BA?

The only thing you'd lose is the relic blade on your Captain/Vanguard Sergeant, but in the case of the Captain, that's just a matter of allying a C:SM one in on a bike so you can have a bike squad as your allied Troops choice.

If you want pure jump packs, C:BA is the best way to go.

Or is the question aimed primarily at using only C:SM? In which case I'd ask what exactly you're trying to achieve (beyond 'purity of essence', anyway).

Well..... I was trying to keep my secret project...um...secret, lol, but what the hey. Hang on to your pants....

Are you ready?

I'm building a 1500 pt Soul Drinker army.

Stop laughing.

I feel that the idea of the Chapter is solid. Had it just been a single IA or paragraph in C:SM, minus the treason and following BS, it would've been badass. So, I'm tapping into some serious imagination and creating an Alternate history. Long story short, Gorgoleon won, presented Sarpedon's head to the Inquisition, and was put on trial by a host of Dorn's sons (twisted that part too, the Soul Drinkers will remain 2nd Founding sons of Dorn). Long investigation, Librarium was dismantled forever for deviancy, Chaplaincy was found to be rotten and were executed, though newer brothers would be allowed after penance to claim the skull helm. Sorrow and Humility replaces Pride as the Chapter's heart. Core of the Chapter was allowed to live, along with "cleansed" teachings and traditions, but were placed under wardenship of a 25 man group of Chaplains from other Dornian bloodlines for 100 years during their pentinent crusade, Chapter Master Gorgoleon reduced to Ward-Pentinent of the Chapter unto death.

Still working out the kinks, and I'm not trying to turn this into a Liber article, but if you've read the very first Soul Drinker book, you'll now know how exactly I'm trying to build this army. Close quarters stuff, whether it be bolter or blade, Cold and Fast. Little to no ground armour, little heavy weapons, few Terminators, but lots of Air Trans (Thank GeeDub for the Storm Raven, lol).

So, let's give it another shot. What'cha think of a solid build?

Archived