Whitescars stormtalon and Raven Guard Scouts

jimbo1701

Very interesting choice of base for the Stormtalon. I have to say I think you'll get mixed feedback on that one. I personally really like it, because it looks weird, alien, and unusual, which is exactly the kind of environment the Adeptus Astartes fight in. It would look even better if the sand on the base was highlighted (or at least if it was more brightly highlighted to match the flora, like a bright sand colour or something).

Have to say I've never been convinced in the past by those Pig Iron helmets, but on your scouts they seem to work very well. I like them a lot, awesome job :) Any more of either army to show?

Very interesting choice of base for the Stormtalon. I have to say I think you'll get mixed feedback on that one. I personally really like it, because it looks weird, alien, and unusual, which is exactly the kind of environment the Adeptus Astartes fight in. It would look even better if the sand on the base was highlighted (or at least if it was more brightly highlighted to match the flora, like a bright sand colour or something).

Have to say I've never been convinced in the past by those Pig Iron helmets, but on your scouts they seem to work very well. I like them a lot, awesome job smile.png Any more of either army to show?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, already had mixed feedback from my gaming group on it. On the plus side the wife thinks they're pretty. msn-wink.gif

My biggest problem is that I jump from project to project and thus some armies are half finished, where others have quite a mix of finished and basecoated models. I've attached a few pics below of some finished whitescars, (which fit in the mixed category) whereas most of the raven guard are only painted to a tabletop standard.

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

Nice skull helm on the Raven Guard. Can i ask wher is it from?Edit: Now i see he's a chaplain. :D cheers

Yep, he's a slightly converted fw captain with a different helmet and weapon head. The helm is a mk6 head with greenstuff sculpting it into a raven style skull helm. Cheers.

Those helmets are from Pig Iron. Lots of folks use them on scouts, and I have to say I like them smile.png Especially compared to the eyebrow hating heads that come in the scout kit.

I like the scouts you've made here a lot. The Scars, especially the flyer, I have an issue with. The white is solid, which is very impressive and something to be proud of. But the battle damage is sort of...off. The angles of the gashes/glances are completely random, and when a lot of them going in different directions are crammed into tight spaces(like the wing in the foreground), it looks more like old Mantis Warrior jungle camo than battle damage.

The damage on the edges is solid and pretty standard. But on the flat bits, I would say that less is more, and although it might be a bit unrealistic, try to angle the gashes in a single direction, the best being front to back. And finally, less is more.

@varred - thanks, it actualy wasn't too hard a sculpt in the end. Filing the beak to the correct shape was the key element.

@boomkapow - yes theyre pig iron as firepower says.

@firepower - I cheated a bit with the white as its a spray with a layer of ceramite over. The damage is a bit excessive and is my first real venture into battle damaging models. It needed something to break up the white I felt. Problem is I started with a few panels a while back and when I restarted then had to match the look of those panels, which were the excessive ones. Thanks for the tips and feedback.

Archived