Daemonic Alignment

angry man

The codex special rules for Chaos Daemons includes a rule called 'Daemonic Alignment'. it states that

Daemons can only join units that are composed entirely of Daemons of the same alignment as themselves (ie. slaanesh herald cant join plaguebearers).

I think it may be possible to read this rule in more than one way, but im cautious that one way can be seen as deliberately misreading...

1) a daemon may only join another unit of daemons. they must be of the same alignment

2) if a daemon joins another unit of daemons, they must be of the same alignment

the second 'interpretation' allows for a daemon IC to join an allied CSM unit (battle brothers), and is not affected by the Daemonic Insability rule, which prevents units being joined by ICs without it. 

the 2nd interpretation would be reasonably benefitial to me, but i wouldnt really be comfortable applying it unless someone would like to reassure me. please...

AM

Page 26:

"Daemonic Instability - A unit with this special rule cannot be joined by a model without this special rule."

"Daemonic Alignment - Daemons can only join units that are composed entirely of daemons of the same alignment as themselves"

The first rule precludes a CSM character from joining a unit from CD, because no CSM character had Instability.

The second rule precludes a CD character from joining a unit from CSM, because the only "Daemon of..." in codex CSM is the daemon prince, who is a monster, so can't be joined by anyone.

Seems fairly clear to me.

• 2 months later...

Page 26:

"Daemonic Instability - A unit with this special rule cannot be joined by a model without this special rule."

"Daemonic Alignment - Daemons can only join units that are composed entirely of daemons of the same alignment as themselves"

The first rule precludes a CSM character from joining a unit from CD, because no CSM character had Instability.

The second rule precludes a CD character from joining a unit from CSM, because the only "Daemon of..." in codex CSM is the daemon prince, who is a monster, so can't be joined by anyone.

Seems fairly clear to me.

It seems to me that a herald might be able to join a unit from the csm codex if two conditions were met, first, the unit would be required to have the Daemon rule, (Such as warp talons or possessed), second, the unit would have to be properly marked so as to have the proper allignment.

Two interpretations:

1 The above is correct because the unit in question is clearly Daemons and is clearly alligned with the proper god.

2 The above is incorrect because the unit in question is technically not composed entirely of Daemons of X.

Thoughts?

Whethere it is daemon that happens to have the same alignment or is a "daemon of X" does not matter.

All heralds have Daemoninc Instability.

No model outside of the Daemon Codex has the Daemonic Instability rule.

Therefore heralds can not be joined with anything outside of Codex: Daemons

Well it does. The list of Daemonic alignments is on the same page. It doesn't mean a model with the daemon special rule and a mark of chaos but a "Daemon of ..."

Possessed don't have a Daemonic Alignment (as defined by Codex Daemons, page 26) so cannot be joined by a Herald who requires them to have said alignment in order for it to join them.

Archived