Favourite Dark angel successors

wilks

So who are your favourite successors of the 1st legion? 

I am looking to start a Dark angel army but am wanting to go for something of a little different flavour for the army. 

I like the Angels of vengeance. I like there very stubborn nature and single minded determination and refusal to give in any situation. However I am starting to like the Angels of Vigilance, but I just feel yellow for them dosen't quite seem to fit the theme in my head, not dark and brooding enough.

So your thoughts please? Your favourties and why?

I think I prefer the Guardians of the Covenant myself, the metallic armor with deep red robes etc. just looks good. I also like that they're more monastic than other Unforgiven. great fluff, what little there is!

If you choose these guys, I have a super simple metal armor recipe!

I love the fluff of the angels of absolution and the consecrators. I actually wish I played consecrators as it would make it much easier to play games of 30k haha

The Disciples of Caliban... if only because their fluff implies they might represent the best of what the Dark Angels once were. I know, I know - it's a stretch. ;)

Hahaha, I like them because of the exact opposite... :D

The DoC are the epitome of what the DAs have become - a far cry of their noble past. Instead of being Champions of humanity they are Champions of the Chapter's internal agenda, the ones that are least inclined to deviate from the hunt and the ones assigned with the most difficult and embarrassing aspect of said hunt: to capture the most high profile Fallen who's on the loose...

Vindicators. Because I created them (except for the name). 

Other than that, I really like the Angels of Vengeance and the Disciples of Caliban the most. Guardians of the Covenant are close, too, but I don't like metal-coloured armour.

So who are your favourite successors of the 1st legion?

I am looking to start a Dark angel army but am wanting to go for something of a little different flavour for the army.

I like the Angels of vengeance. I like there very stubborn nature and single minded determination and refusal to give in any situation. However I am starting to like the Angels of Vigilance, but I just feel yellow for them dosen't quite seem to fit the theme in my head, not dark and brooding enough.

So your thoughts please? Your favourties and why?

We both agree that the AoV are the exemplars of the finest of the Unforgiven's virtues.

Plus I really like their black and red colour scheme. teehee.gif

Thanks everyone for your replies, hearing other peoples preferences gives a different perspective on the other successors and if anything has actually made choosing a little harder now lol.

I would say I am liking the Disciples of Caliban and the Guardians of the covenant a bit more now too, Nice work on the Guardians Facmanpob, thats some cool stuff you got there.

The Angels of Vengeance are still my favourite and luckily have the transfers for them which is a stroke of luck. Jack of the Pelt do you have any pictures of your AOV at all?  I'd love to see some as inspiration.

I love the fluff of the angels of absolution and the consecrators. I actually wish I played consecrators as it would make it much easier to play games of 30k haha

Ditto. These are my favs as well. 

Thanks everyone for your replies, hearing other peoples preferences gives a different perspective on the other successors and if anything has actually made choosing a little harder now lol.

I would say I am liking the Disciples of Caliban and the Guardians of the covenant a bit more now too, Nice work on the Guardians Facmanpob, thats some cool stuff you got there.

The Angels of Vengeance are still my favourite and luckily have the transfers for them which is a stroke of luck. Jack of the Pelt do you have any pictures of your AOV at all?  I'd love to see some as inspiration.

Thanks for the interest, but I can't seem to take any pictures that look any good. My AoV have black armour with red bolter casings - which works much better than red with green armour, avoiding the Christmas marines effect with normal DA. They also have burgundy robes, cloaks etc which were meant to be blood red to match the AoV chapter symbol, but the finished result came out differently, I kept it however as it still contrasted well with the black.

Hahaha, I like them because of the exact opposite... biggrin.png

The DoC are the epitome of what the DAs have become - a far cry of their noble past. Instead of being Champions of humanity they are Champions of the Chapter's internal agenda, the ones that are least inclined to deviate from the hunt and the ones assigned with the most difficult and embarrassing aspect of said hunt: to capture the most high profile Fallen who's on the loose...

How dare you don't at least give the Consecrators an honorable mention! tongue.png

On topic - that's my pick, Consecrators. I actually enjoyed what little fluff there is about them (very Legion of the Damned, showing up when needed) and their use of a high number of Legion-age marks of armor and such. Also the paint scheme.

If my name didn't give it away DoC as well. Not just the post by CaptainSemper but also the fact that to me the Disciples are an elite unit. Maybe a bit Gestapo but still they are there to do one thing............find Cypher plus I've got some cool fluff for them written up. Remember all of the legion......chapters.........guys help train and look out for ways to help out the DoC so that tells me one thing. Best of the best Tier 1 operator types helping when and where they can but Emperor help you if you get in the way of them and Cypher............because no one else will be able to help.

Talking of favourite Successors, it would have been so cool if a few more had made their appearance in the new codex - even if only in image or painted model form - hinting at what might be.

Of known Successors, my own favourites are the AoV, purely for looks :) .

... And a slightly curved ball here and not strictly Successors: the Relictors - rumoured to have DA geneseed - and who possess a really cool modus operandi and a darkside that is just mouth wateringly characterful.

Cheers

I

I hate to say this, since my hipster hateful side detests going along with the flow but... Angels of Vengeance. I like their indiscriminate approach to killing the enemies of Imperium and Legion, as well as their commitment to achieving victory. Tactical withdrawals are for :cuss!

Talking of favourite Successors, it would have been so cool if a few more had made their appearance in the new codex - even if only in image or painted model form - hinting at what might be.

Of known Successors, my own favourites are the AoV, purely for looks smile.png .

... And a slightly curved ball here and not strictly Successors: the Relictors - rumoured to have DA geneseed - and who possess a really cool modus operandi and a darkside that is just mouth wateringly characterful.

Cheers

I

While we're on the subject of "supposed" successors how about the Star Phantoms look into there fluff, it is awesome. but with cannon stuff, it's still the GotC!

Hahaha, I like them because of the exact opposite... biggrin.png

How dare you don't at least give the Consecrators an honorable mention! tongue.png

On topic - that's my pick, Consecrators. I actually enjoyed what little fluff there is about them (very Legion of the Damned, showing up when needed) and their use of a high number of Legion-age marks of armor and such. Also the paint scheme.

I stand corrected... :blush: CONSECRATORS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Consecrators for me, because I like older styles of power armour and they look very intimidating all in black. To be honest I struggle to differentiate between Unforgiven successors beyond their heraldry. Very little of the limited information presented for them has stuck in my mind.

[edit[ I forgot to add that the Stoneburners have a good look, and a more interesting backstory than many official successors.

Hmmm, count me in also for the Consecrators, probably for how closely they resemble the old Dark Angels etc, but I do really like the Guardians of the Covenant too.

In fact if I think about it I'm sure there are reasons I could find to like all of the successors, even the in your face yellow of the angels of vigilance!

Count me in for the Guardians! something  awesome about studying the enemy and using that knowledge to defeat them. (something I gotta learn myself >//<) Although I dont like it when chapers don't have a lot of fluff, the fanmade stuff makes it worthwhile, too. 

Archived