DA Command squad and Veterans

PhillyT

Hi all,

I just picked up 6 sets of veteran squads.  I have the bitz from two more minus the robed models.  So with a total of 31 models (I have a pewter DA marine) I need to decide the optimal load out for my command and veteran squads.

What do you guys suggest?

I have a model with the banner (Azreals banner on a pewter marine) but what else should a command squad have?

How do you use veterans?  WIth the extra attack, I would imagine that CC is the rule.

Thoughts?  No limit on the load out.

Keep them cheap, mostly.

Either they're shooty, and have the Standard of Devastation either in the unit or nearby in which case you want bolters or combi-bolters; or they're shooty but don't have the Standard, in which case, grab some plasma guns as well as the bolters; or they're assaulty, in which case go for bolt pistol + chainsword for the majority, but upgrade some to flamers or meltas.

They look great with lightning claws, powerfists, power weapons, etc., but are sub-optimal in an assault role if you pay a lot for them. A veteran with a power weapon or single lightning claw is getting almost as expensive as a Terminator or a Black Knight, and just isn't as good; and to make a vet really capable in assault, you'll need a storm shield too...

I'm a fan of putting them in a drop pod with combi-plasmas for some turn 1 goodness. Like Ian said, keep them cheap. Turn one drop pods aren't hard to defend against so you don't want to sink a massive amount of points into the unit.

A command squad of 5 with 4 flamers and a standard of devastation in a crusader... Flanked with 2 other crusader within 6"...whistlingW.gif

Other than that I'm fan of the full flamer squad in a drop pod too.

If I think about vets, I can also run a mix of meltas/plasmas (guns and combi weapons) in a 10 men squad. The drop pod arrives and the squad splits in 2.

Archived