Vindicator Upgrades

hamani

Quite simple ... Which do you think are worth whille?

I'm always tempted by the storm bolter ... For just 10 points you get a 50/50 of ignoring the first weapon destroyed result. But then again, if you spend an extra 10-15 points on each unit in the army, it adds up.

The siege shield is also very tempting ... but can you not always just adjust the positioning or deployment of the vindicator and save some points.

Thoughts & opinions?

- Hamani.

Most Vindicators come with a storm bolter, so you've always got that 50/50 ignoring of first weapon destroyed result. Only the Chaos ones come without IIRC.

Siege shield is not worth the points, the dozer blade does the same thing for less, how many times will you roll 1 followed by 1? Well, 1/36 times, but that's besides the point.

As you said, upgrades stack up quickly, at most grab them a dozer blade and leave it at that.

I only highly suggest the siege shield if your running with a lot of terrain like in cities of death, because its better to just not have to roll. It's also good against a necron player with a C'Tan shard or two since he could make you fail difficult terrain more easily. Ignoring it is much better than having a chance of failing.

For once I disagree with DarkGuard. I always find that the siege shield is worth the points. With it you can roll through terrain at your leisure and never have to worry about tests, especially now since you have to test once for each piece of terrain and not just once per movement. I suspect they're an even better buy on BA vindis since they can move twice as fast.

Agreed to the above - I always take a siege shield on my Vindi and the last game proved the wisdom of it:

Ruins were set up by my opponent down one flank of his deployment zone in effect to 'wall off' the area so I couldn't grab Linebreaker without facing the massed firepower of his Tau gunline - or so he thought. He was quickly abused of this notion as my Blood Angels Vindi plowed through the whole lot in one go with no penalties, then immolated the core of his army with a flanking demo. cannon shot.

If you're playing in a ruin-heavy board then you can lurk the Vindi behind ruins for a cover save, then bust clean through them to take your shot.

For once I disagree with DarkGuard. I always find that the siege shield is worth the points. With it you can roll through terrain at your leisure and never have to worry about tests, especially now since you have to test once for each piece of terrain and not just once per movement. I suspect they're an even better buy on BA vindis since they can move twice as fast.

And BT PotMS Vindis msn-wink.gif

I can never justify paying for a Siege Shield. You just won't need to move through terrain that often unless you play tailored 40K. You only need to get within 24" to fire that gun and it's only a scoring unit one in six times so any all comers list would do better to save the points.

It's worth the extra 5 pts just for how good it looks. Vindi without a siegeshield just doesn't look right to me.

I use the massive dozer blade as a dozer blade, it doesn't make a difference. Like Idaho said, the extra 5pts isn't worth it when you're basically not failing dangerous terrain tests anyway with the dozer blade. I used to take the siege shield, then needed to cut some points and took the dozer blade instead. No difference at all in all my games so far with it. If I have 5pts spare I might take it, but that's only after meltabombs etc.

The local metagame play is an important part in this decision. I commonly play on very terrain-heavy boards (and especially with large terrain features), which makes the Siege Shield very worthwhile.

As others have mentioned the Siege Shield isn't really necessary but when I've the odd points left over it's one of my preferred ways to spend them. I usually run my Vindis in a pair and it lets me bulldoze their way through anything without concern which is nice but not if I'm squeezing things in!

Vindicators are part of the backbone of all my lists. Most relevant information and arguments have been presented already, so I'll just give a +1 to the dozer blade. Every other upgrade is unnecessary unless you just have the points to spend. 5pts for the Dozer Blade is worth it every single time. General tactics and 24" range means you are always looking to keep your Vindicator in cover, and when you move, you'll either be moving into better cover relative to armor facings, or you'll want to move 6 inches pretty much directly at your target to put your blast in prime position. Allowing dangerous terrain to have any bearing on your decision to maneuver will reduce the effectiveness of your Vindicator by more than 5pts worth.

And besides, a Vindicator without a dozer blade/siege shield looks like a Rhino with =][= deleted by Inquisition =][= .

And besides, a Vindicator without a dozer blade/siege shield looks like a Rhino with =][= deleted by Inquisition =][= .

biggrin.png

Is that a Vindicator in your deployment zone or is your Rhino just happy to see me?

Haha. The Emperor just cracked a smile on the Golden Throne.

Archived