Intentionally taking empty drop pods

Mogsam

Hi guys, please forgive me if this is a silly question - could you intentionally take empty drop pods? It occurred to me when reading the BA codex that if you took too many you could artificially cause all your troops to arrive on turn 1. Ie three squads need them, are five and the two empty ones mean you get to round up the three full ones.

Yes, you can take them for squads and then not put the squads inside if you like. Its perfectally legal, and frankly makes sense to have 'spares' coming in- think of it as decoys to distract AA firepower.

It depends on what you mean by 'take'. If you have five units eligible to by drop pods, and only embark three then yes it's legal. If you only have three eligible units, you can't just 'buy' two extra pods to front-load your deployment. (At least not in any of the current GW Codexes. If you're talking with Forge World that's a slightly different situation). What exactly did you have in mind?

It depends on what you mean by 'take'. If you have five units eligible to by drop pods, and only embark three then yes it's legal. If you only have three eligible units, you can't just 'buy' two extra pods to front-load your deployment. (At least not in any of the current GW Codexes. If you're talking with Forge World that's a slightly different situation). What exactly did you have in mind?

Ah! That's what I was mainly wondering about - If you could take them without squads on the ground. It's an interesting idea though and would probably be worth a try if my army gets that big. 

Nope, the clue is in the being "dedicated transports". They have to be "dedicated" to a unit.

Yes, but dedicated pods do not have to be embarked if they drop? A landraider could be a dedicated transport And you can start with THE unit out of THE raider And embark it in play,

Nope, the clue is in the being "dedicated transports". They have to be "dedicated" to a unit.

Yes, but dedicated pods do not have to be embarked if they drop? A landraider could be a dedicated transport And you can start with THE unit out of THE raider And embark it in play,

And not all Drop Pods are Dedicated Transports ... thus my comment concerning Forge World.

If you refer to the Rules Q&A it states that a unit may select a dedicated transport but it is not required to deploy in the transport.

I think I am being misinterpeted:

If you refer to the Rules Q&A it states that a unit may select a dedicated transport but it is not required to deploy in the transport.

...That's not what I said, and indeed nothing to do with the question being asked.

The question was: "Can I buy pods on their own?"

The answer was: "No, pods have to be bought with a parent unit"

In other words, the pod is dedicated to them, it is a dedicated transport. Dedicated. Whatever happens after T1 doesn't matter, but the fact is that when you are writing your army list, you have to dedicate a transport to a specific unit.

I'm done.

Archived