Vanguard vets

Quicj question about one of my favorite blood Angel units.. Say I take melta bombs on all 5 dudes, and two infernos pistols in the squad.. Can I shoot both the pistols in my shooting phase and then in the assault phase use the meltabombs from both those models? This being the turn after they arrive on the board ofcourse

Quicj question about one of my favorite blood Angel units.. Say I take melta bombs on all 5 dudes, and two infernos pistols in the squad.. Can I shoot both the pistols in my shooting phase and then in the assault phase use the meltabombs from both those models? This being the turn after they arrive on the board ofcourse

nothing prevents you from using melta bombs.

Well if your are refering to there Heroic Intervention special rule, then no they cannot shoot but can use there Melta Bombs. The rule states that if they are deep striking in that turn, you have to declare that they will be preforming a Heroic Intervention, which means unlike most assault units in the game, they will be able to assault other units when they come in, however you forgo there shooting attacks to do this. You could just deep strike them in normally, but you would then be waisting the Melta Bombs as they can only be used when they assault a vehicle to do so, which is why I feel that Inferno Pistols on these guys is a waste.

I already know how heroic intervention works, that's why I clarified that this would be any turn AFTER the turn they arrive :) a buddy of mine was trying to pull shenanigans saying I could t use pistols and bombs from the same guys, albeit on different turns. I did it anyway because that sounded retarded to me and his landraider went kablooey along with about half his chaos terminators thanks to terrible rolling or as I like to think, karma for being a little bitch.

I already know how heroic intervention works, that's why I clarified that this would be any turn AFTER the turn they arrive smile.png a buddy of mine was trying to pull shenanigans saying I could t use pistols and bombs from the same guys, albeit on different turns. I did it anyway because that sounded retarded to me and his landraider went kablooey along with about half his chaos terminators thanks to terrible rolling or as I like to think, karma for being a little bitch.

Fair point, however everyone has there preference. Currently, I am running a squad of 10x, 8x with BP/Chainsword, and 2x (including the Sergent), with PF, BP. Not only are these guys now fairly cheap, but I can break them off into combat squads AFTER they deep strike and declare Heroic Intervention, meaning I now have 2x squads assaulting you in one turn from one unit. Usually get 3x to 4x as in turn 1, I drop pod a Sqaud of 10x DC and a Frag Fruioso, giving my opponent more headaches to deal with. I run purely for CC, as my DC and my Furioso have the ability to take out tanks, as well as my RAS.

I think he was confused, thinking that melta bombs were thrown grenades (like throwing a krak or frag in the shooting phase). Point out to him that they are using in the assault phase only, as a melee attack and replace your base attacks - Instead of calling him a little bitch.

Or the other lad could READ the rules himself and the stop being a little bitch. simmmples

I think he was confused, thinking that melta bombs were thrown grenades (like throwing a krak or frag in the shooting phase). Point out to him that they are using in the assault phase only, as a melee attack and replace your base attacks - Instead of calling him a little bitch.

Hmmmm some opponents can be like that but they are usually the kids who only can believe they are great gamers when they actually are notbecause they cant fit into any other crowd. ANyways stay on topic please for his sake. That being said, like I said earlier VV should be a CC unit in my opinion, as there are other units in your army that coud be more suited to destroy vehicles, but if you have the points, Melta Bombs wouldn't be a bad addition to the VV.

Hmmmm some opponents can be like that but they are usually the kids who only can believe they are great gamers when they actually are notbecause they cant fit into any other crowd. ANyways stay on topic please for his sake. That being said, like I said earlier VV should be a CC unit in my opinion, as there are other units in your army that coud be more suited to destroy vehicles, but if you have the points, Melta Bombs wouldn't be a bad addition to the VV.

After viewing the replys in here, especially learning about how we can combat squad vets AFTER they deep strike, which is just straight nasty, im thinking about running 2 10 man squads myself and to bring back my death company into a new list. My next game is this weekend against a tyranid MC heavy list but anyone else I play that tactic would be extremely difficult for the opponent to deal with. Essentially 4 squads assaulting you from seemingly out of nowhere with a big, mean blob of angry marines left unmolested to sweep away.. Well.. Anything the following turn will be too much for some to handle. And for the potential of all of this happening turn 2? Haha, I love it

You don't necessarily need +4 units on the board.  Remember, you calculate how many you can reserve, not how many must deploy, and *then* squads which are embarked on compulsorily reserved transports are removed and don't count towards your total reserved.  (As per the FAQ, they don't count towards filling that 50% total you can reserve).

And characters can be declared to be joining squads in reserve during their deployment, as per p39.

So if you have enough Storm Ravens, drop pods (the squad still counts towards calculating number of squads that can deploy), and/or characters, you can still null deploy even with 4 mini-VV squads.

You don't necessarily need +4 units on the board.  Remember, you calculate how many you can reserve, not how many must deploy, and *then* squads which are embarked on compulsorily reserved transports are removed and don't count towards your total reserved.  (As per the FAQ, they don't count towards filling that 50% total you can reserve).

And characters can be declared to be joining squads in reserve during their deployment, as per p39.

So if you have enough Storm Ravens, drop pods (the squad still counts towards calculating number of squads that can deploy), and/or characters, you can still null deploy even with 4 mini-VV squads.

No, that is also wrong. Step 1is to ignore units that must deploy in reverses. Examples : Flyers, drop pod units. Then you can have 50% (rounded up) of the remaining units stay in reserves. Even if you have 10 drop pod units, the vets do not deploy via pods or storm raven, they choose to deepstrike, so you will need 4 more units to be deployed on the board.

Archived