DWA - Staggered or all at once

Aegnor

From a point raised in the 'dealing with PA enemies'. Can you have some of your Deathwing arrive via DWA in turn 1 and some in turn 2, or do they all need to come down together in either turn 1 OR 2?

The wording in the codex says:

"tell you opponent which units are making a Deathwing Assault, and make a secret note of whether it takes place in your first or second turn. All units making the Deathwing Assault automatically arrive via Deep Strike at the start of the chosen turn - there is no need to roll for reserves."

I'd read it that you could choose for each unit, but on re-reading I think they all have to arrive together. Which sucks as DWA-ing Belial in turn 1, then the rest on them in turn 2 was a tactic I loved the idea of.

Thoughts?

" whether it [DWA] takes place in your first or second turn" - it's pretty clear that you choose when the DWA takes place, not when individual units arrive.

"All units making the Deathwing Assault automatically arrive via Deep Strike at the start of the chosen turn" - again, it's quite clear that they all arrive on the same turn.

Basically, you choose the turn when DWA takes place, and all units chosen to do it arrive at that turn.

Yeah, I think I'm agreeing with that now. Must have been wishful thinking colouring my thinking before. Or the idea that there must have been some reason why they gave Belial both Tactical Precision AND a Teleport Homer. As it is, one or the other is basically useless in every battle. :(

[EDIT - ninja!]

whistling.gif

Don't forget though, you could stick one unit (say Belial's unit) in DWA and bring them in on turn 1, and keep the rest of the DW in normal reserve, rolling for them as normal from turn 2 onwards. Granted that means there is a possibility that some of them won't arrive on turn 2, but it is an option.

Yeah for my first two games I thought I could stagger them in. But then my friend pointed it out and confirmed my inability to read wallbash.gif

But yeah, as facmanpob says. If you want to stagger them, put some in DWA and then the rest in reserves to Deep Strike.

It's more that I wanted to DS them without scattering using Belial's teleport homer. Oh well, time to add more bikes.

If you deep strike in the rest of the Deathwing on turn 2+ from normal reserves, and Belial's squad via DWA on turn 1, then they can use Belial's homer.......

True, but then you're at the mercy of your luck rolling for reserves. It can be a lot of points to have off the board til turn 4 though.

ALternative I guess is to stick Belial in a landraider, but that seems a lot of points to spend for something you can do with Ravenwing.

Some more thinking I guess...

Edit: landraider not landspeeder

True, but then you're at the mercy of your luck rolling for reserves. It can be a lot of points to have off the board til turn 4 though.

ALternative I guess is to stick Belial in a landspeeder, but that seems a lot of points to spend for something you can do with Ravenwing.

Belial can't have a Landpeeder, are you thinking of Sammael?

What about dumping a Drop Pod or two with Locator Beacons on Turn 1 and then bringing in your DWA on Turn 2?

If you were really keen to keep it pure Deathwing, you could drop pod in a Deathwing dreadnought.

Might be a touch risky with just the one Pod, in case your opponent realises your plan and destroys the Drop Pod but on the other hand in a pure Deathwing army, it's difficult to find the points for two Dreadnoughts with Drop Pods.

'Tis indeed a dilemma!

If you were really keen to keep it pure Deathwing, you could drop pod in a Deathwing dreadnought.

Might be a touch risky with just the one Pod, in case your opponent realises your plan and destroys the Drop Pod but on the other hand in a pure Deathwing army, it's difficult to find the points for two Dreadnoughts with Drop Pods.

And if you want two drop pods to arrive on turn 1 you'll need three of them in your army. It's nice to have these options though, instead of Ravenwing bikes being the only way to teleport accurately.

ALternative I guess is to stick Belial in a landspeeder, but that seems a lot of points to spend for something you can do with Ravenwing.

Belial can't have a Landpeeder, are you thinking of Sammael?

What about dumping a Drop Pod or two with Locator Beacons on Turn 1 and then bringing in your DWA on Turn 2?

Way to telegraph your intended L.Z....

And if you want two drop pods to arrive on turn 1 you'll need three of them in your army. It's nice to have these options though, instead of Ravenwing bikes being the only way to teleport accurately.

Of course you're right, I'd forgotten that Drop Pod Assault was the majority of your Pods rather than all of them. Duh.

dswanwick; I don't think there'd be a problem with telegraphing. Your landing zone can be anywhere within 6" of those pods, giving you a 24" landing zone just with two. There aren't THAT many armies that can relocate quickly and effectively enough to counter a Deathwing Assault across a potential 24" area.

Being pure Deathwing aside, seems like the kind of thing that can help target saturate your enemy. If you have the drop pod AND a couple of Ravenwing squads that are advancing, all with Teleport homers, plus a dreadnought in their face, plus the non-reserve elements of your army, you're forcing them to make some choices. And if they decide to reorient around the planned LZ, you've got your splitfire, Vengeful Strike and Standard of Fortitude. >:)

Archived