Dante + honour guard (apoc death dealing)

Theredknight

I'm wondering if in the only one to do this but it makes short work of super heavies 95% of the time.

I equip the h. Guard with melta guns, drop them up the quester of an expensive hard tank and liquidate the rear armour on those suckers.

They easily make their points back, and if they survive after that, can continue to do damage. Usually they get templated to death, but the no scatter on Dante and getting the extra bonus for melta means pain for things that can do considerably more damage.

not convinced you'll 'easily make your points back' in most cases... say you take Dante and 5 honour guard with jump packs and 4 melta guns, costs a total of 430 points and can do (unless you really luck out) a total of 5 hull points of damage in the turn they land IF they all hit. They will all get roills on the charts true. so there's a good chance of exploding something that doesn't have structure points, but if it doesn't have structure points, they didn't make their points back. If it has structure points you might well just barely make the points back, but the chance of actually destroying it will be much slimmer...

lets say it was something with AV 12 (very likely, even for rear armour if it had structure points)

each basic marine has a 66.67% chance of hitting

each marine then has an 8.33% chance of glancing or a 83.33% chance of penetrating (91.66% chance to cause a Hull point in damage)

so each marine has a 61.11 chance to cause a glancing hit (assuming I did that bit right, its likely I didn't, been a long time since I thought about probabilities!)

Now, it's true that on a penatrating score of a 6, they'd cause an explode result which would take out a full structure point and potentially another hull point or even another structure point, but the odds of that start to get very slim

Dante has a slightly better chance with an 83.33% chance to hit and a 76.38 chance to cause a hull point.

But either way, I'm not convinced that using Dante and honour guard like that in Apoc is a good use, works well in standard games of 40k where there aren't structure points though...

Hmm. Iv found it pretty good personally. Iv tried it 3 times, and they generally nuke a bi beastie. Apart from once with me awful rolls they decided to shoot weapons in the sky and get shot by the 3 vindi formation..

Dante surprisingly survived that, but was cut down with fire from 2 land raiders. :-(

On there roll they've had a shadow sword, and a bane hammer in their rosters for the 3 times iv taken them. They survived one to jump toward a bastion and blow that up killing majority of the world waters in it and jumping to combat to contest an objective.

I just wondered if honour guard would be better than vv, on account of built in priest :-)

yup, that is a far better use of dante in apoc, it's up to 4 units of sanguinary guard, they all get heroic intervention but can charge at different units. if placed well it can be pretty terrifying for your opponent (I used it in an apoc game on a far table edge (no scatter ftw) to avoid the nasty weapons of death and horrible scatter inducing assets they had, Dante and his honour guard mushed a Chaos lord and retinue (this was last ed, so I got to attack before he did) the sanguinary guard killed a couple of other units near him :)

it was in white dwarf, the one where the Blood Angels got their codex IIRC, I think you can actually download it from the site, or you could...

there was also a Death company one that gave the death company heroic intervention too... that was brutal.

Ah I think I have that archived. Iv got editions dated back to when the whirlwind (crayon mark) was released..so il have to check.

It looks a lot more punishing and gold looking!

Iv got 2 boxes of guard to do on my list, il just get another couple and done!

What did you equip the honour guard with, fists and pw?

Archived