Paper Dark Angels

Spaniard

Hello Brothers,

Okay so this might sound crazy but just hear me out. Im currently depolyed in Afghanistan. I dont have any where to store my models, so i left them home. Its only been 3 months and i dont know how much longer i have to go without going to battle with my DA. Deff called plastic crack for a reason. Well i have a buddy that wants to learn how to play and hes somewhat interested in the Necrons, booooo. Anyways i can get dice and a measuring tape. Now for the models, with everything that goes on here i dont want to risk my models or any models my buddy wants to purchase. So ive thinking about making the models out of paper but not like the ones that actually look like the real thing. My idea is to make cirlces for regular troops, rectangles for bikes and square for tanks. I will try to keep them the same size as close as i can get them and just write on each peace what the "model" is. My question, has anyone ever tried this or know what im talking about?

I think this is an outstanding idea! I commend you for your creativity and ingenuity. You might also use paper to create a few pieces of terrain to augment your paper army. Let us know how it goes and Happy Hunting!

McFisty

When I play WHFB, I often proxy stuff using that exact technique. My 1st ever game of Warhammer back in 1995 or so was played with 2 paper armies. It's a good way to learn without spending too much and you won't have to risk your models either.

Hello Brothers,

Okay so this might sound crazy but just hear me out. Im currently depolyed in Afghanistan. I dont have any where to store my models, so i left them home. Its only been 3 months and i dont know how much longer i have to go without going to battle with my DA. Deff called plastic crack for a reason. Well i have a buddy that wants to learn how to play and hes somewhat interested in the Necrons, booooo. Anyways i can get dice and a measuring tape. Now for the models, with everything that goes on here i dont want to risk my models or any models my buddy wants to purchase. So ive thinking about making the models out of paper but not like the ones that actually look like the real thing. My idea is to make cirlces for regular troops, rectangles for bikes and square for tanks. I will try to keep them the same size as close as i can get them and just write on each peace what the "model" is. My question, has anyone ever tried this or know what im talking about?

Sounds like a plan to me. I personally can't think of any reason why it would be a problem. Let's face it, as long as you and your buddy know what's what on the board, who's going to tell you that you can't?

Yep, it's a good idea and is fine to do. I have actually seen something similar with guys just using the empty bases of the models with squad leaders, special weapons, heavies labelled. Especially if they are using incomplete squads or just trying out a 'new unit' before they really buy it. Good luck and stay safe.

thanks brothers for all the support, ive been trying to download vassal, idk if i have the wrong link or if i have to register. but for our internet isnt that great. it took me a bit just to get this reply box to pop up to thank you guys. 

McFisty - thanks for the terrain idea i didnt think of it. 

hopefully it turns out alright, im going to make it all on word or powerpoint for the shapes. i will also try to upload what i have made for others to try out, so new players can test out some of the DA's newest unit without paying an arm or a leg.

I really doubt that GW is coming over to tell you that you cant play with papermodels smile.png So go for it, and stay safe!

This!

I think it's a fantastic idea. I'd just make some sort of vertical marks as well that you can set on top of each model to check LoS around terrain and what not.

I think it's a fantastic idea. I'd just make some sort of vertical marks as well that you can set on top of each model to check LoS around terrain and what not.

That's a good idea i did'nt think of that. I already know there are going to be tough times where something will be close. We will just let the decision go to the dice at that point. All the models I've tried to get as close as possible to the actual size of each model base so far i just have templates made, i will be using cardboard for the models. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME!!!!!

Archived