BA's Best Counter Units

BAHERSH

Hey everybody. I wanted to make a forum for list building. Specifically, I want to discuss how to build a list that offers a counter for everything an opponent can bring; starting from the most frequently encountered units that pose problems.

Please post your favorite unit for countering each of the following units, and maybe explain why you like them. I think this would be a useful guideline for new players that want to expand beyond the 2 troop, HQ minimum, and will give more experienced players insight into different possibilities. Then, if you want, list your overall favorite unit.

1. MEQs
2. Flyers
3. Heavily Armored Tanks
4. MC's
5. Swarm Armies/ Light Infantry
6. Heavy Infantry (i.e. 2+ armor saves)
7. Dreadnoughts/ Walkers
8. Light Armor transports

For me:

1. MEQ's - Mephiston. He's simply too much to handle for MEQ's in CC. Put him with any AM squad, and they instantly become a BIG threat for other MEQ's.

2. Flyers - Stormraven Gunships (TL Lascannon, TL MM). Flyers can always counter flyers, and our Stormravens are pretty sweet.

3. Heavy Vehicles -  Attack Bikes w/ MM's. They're cheap, durable, and can outmaneuver vehicles to hit side and rear armor .

4. MC's - Sternguard w/ combi-plasmas. Between their plasma shots and hellfire rounds, they can quickly take down a MC.

5. Swarm armies - Land Speeders w/ 2 HB's. 6 Heavy Bolter shots per speeder will mow down some light infantry/ approaching swarms.

6. 2+ armor units - Death company (ONLY on the charge). In large enough numbers, the DC can throw so many attacks that they will wipe out the majority of a TH/ SS terminator squad before being hit back.

7 + 8. Dreadnoughts + Light Transports -  Again I'll go with the Attack Bikes for the same reason as before. Additionally, if needed, they can assault the infantry once they burst their transport.

Favorite unit: MM Attack Bikes. Aside from what I wrote above, they are effective against MC's and 2+ armor units.

1. MEQs - Mephiston - wrecks AV3, hard to take down with small arms fire., maybe sanguinary guard.

2. Flyers - Not too many in my area. I dont take anything specifically to deal with them. 
3. Heavily Armored Tanks  - 2x2 MM Attack bikes/Mephiston
4. MC's - 2x2 MM Attack bikes/Mephiston
5. Swarm Armies/ Light Infantry - Mephiston, assault marines, tactical marines, 
6. Heavy Infantry (i.e. 2+ armor saves) -  Plasma loaded tactical squad, lots of bolters, 2x2 MM Attack bikes
7. Dreadnoughts/ Walkers - 4xML dev squad, 2x2 MM Attack bikes/Mephiston
8. Light Armor transports -  4xML dev squad, 2x2 MM Attack bikes/Mephiston

The Attack bikes really do all the heavy lifting in the army. Meph is a cannonball and terrifies people into the bikes, but can easily deal with all tanks himself.

I have a solid base of 2 tactical squads and an assault squad in pretty much every game I play.

The bikes deal with big tanks, MC's, TEQ, you name it. They are T5 with 2W and 5+ jink save so are hard to take down.

1. MEQs - Mephiston - He is a deathstar all to himself.

2. Flyers - I sometimes run a Stormraven. I generally ignore the opponent's fliers 
3. Heavily Armored Tanks  - Sternguard w/combi-meltas and/or Mephiston

4. MC's - Baal Predators and/or Mephiston
5. Swarm Armies/ Light Infantry - Baal Predators, Death Company, Assault Marines, 
6. Heavy Infantry (i.e. 2+ armor saves) -  Vindicator, Sternguard, Baal Preds

7. Dreadnoughts/ Walkers - 4xML dev squad, Mephiston
8. Light Armor transports -  4xML dev squad, Mephiston

Archived