Best loadout for Vanguard Veterans

Skorpion

What what you guys say was the best loadout for 5 vanguard veterans? I really what to use them in a game despite what I have heard. Also what is the best tactic for them in 6th edition

My three ideas are:

Vanguard Veterans (5): 225- Powerfist, 2 x Power Sword, Gunslinger 2 x Handflamers

Vanguard Veterans (5): 210- Thunder Hammer, 2 x Power Weapon

Vanguard Veterans (5)- 230: Power Fist, 2 x Power Swords, Gunslinger 2 x Hand Flamers, Melta Bomb

Thank you,

Skorpion

I'd go:

5 VV jump, fist, 1 power weapon (free), 3 melta bombs. 205 pts.

For use against 3+ saves or worse and vehicles.

I took a 10 man squad the other day with jump, 4 fist, 3 power weapons. Against nids. I had decided to field only jump troops so I needed a hammer for big game hunting. It was fun but not overly wise in the long term. I took out 3 tyrant guard, tyrant and a tervigon in one charge, but then they were charged down and neutralized afterwards. Good fun though. Oh, and I started on the table. That's an option too. :)

VV are (in my opinion) probably best used to neutralise things in your opponent's backfield through Heroic Intervention. You want them to drop in and kill a tank/dev squad/long fangs/lootas (Tervigon?).

For an all comers, you want maybe a power weapon, fist, and 2-3 melta bombs. If facing a lot of tanks, fist, 4 melta bombs.

Having a ten man squad allows you to combat squad them to take on multiple targets at once, but then you start having to build the army around them due to their cost.

In 5th ed I ran 5 like this:

Sgt claws, one fist, and melta bombs. They would absolutely clean up the backfield. I also ran the Sanguinor for his blessing on the Sgt.

I have no idea if this would work now. I assume it wouldn't be a very good list at all actually. Namely because I would run 10 DC and a DC dread with Baals and Stormravens... couldn't grab obj's, but who cares when you table yer opposition!

Food for thought.

Archived