Bolter or flamer?

Jiron

Hi,

I am building a bolter-heavy Flesh Tearers army (yes I know it's bad but... you know...). My question is: "Is it better to have in tactical squad a free flamer or is bolter better?"

I know flamer can be really useful in certain situations. To name some, holding objectives, softening enemy up for my charges (which could come when I roll for Red Thirst) and so on.

On the other hand, to have a flamer is one shot less on 24" and two shots less in 12".

I am planning to use my force for furious firefights on a short range supporting death company in LR Crusader. 

Thank you for comments.

One shot less at 24, two shots less at 12, but an 8" template that can generate multiple hits, and ignores cover saves.

Not only that, a free d3 hits on anyone foolish enough to charge the squad.

A free flamer is nothing to sneeze at, and should definately be a part of the squads wargear, unless a more expensive weapon is chosen.

One shot less at 24, two shots less at 12, but an 8" template that can generate multiple hits, and ignores cover saves.

Not only that, a free d3 hits on anyone foolish enough to charge the squad.

A free flamer is nothing to sneeze at, and should definately be a part of the squads wargear, unless a more expensive weapon is chosen.

This!!

You forget the free bolt pistol, so if you are 9-12" away, its only one less bolt shot, and one less at 12-24.

If you are within 8", then the flame template is worth a number of bolt shots equal to the number of dudes under the template, +50%, which accounts for the autohits.

Basically, is is worth it.

I'll agree with the answers given above. I'd also recommend to look into plasma guns. 2 rapid fire S7 AP2 shots is nothing to laugh at. I think P Guns are pretty much the reason I would take a tactical squad over an extra assault squad, although I still prefer assault marines for my list.

I'll agree with the answers given above. I'd also recommend to look into plasma guns. 2 rapid fire S7 AP2 shots is nothing to laugh at. I think P Guns are pretty much the reason I would take a tactical squad over an extra assault squad, although I still prefer assault marines for my list.

That's why I play plasma pistol gunslinger sergeant. Not that it's two S7 AP2 shots but it gives him extra close combat attack as well and you can charge after shooting.

That's why I play plasma pistol gunslinger sergeant. Not that it's two S7 AP2 shots but it gives him extra close combat attack as well and you can charge after shooting.

It lacks range.  Combi-Plasma is the obvious choice for Tactical Squad sergeants.

It lacks range.  Combi-Plasma is the obvious choice for Tactical Squad sergeants.

I think he was talking about ASM sergeants.

Archived