Rules Question Psykers and Transports

Slavik

Three situations came up during my last game. For each, what is the ruling and what is your source?

1) I had a Psyker in my LRC. Can he cast Prescience on a unit outside the LRC?  My opponent said no. The rules say you can cast witchfire out of a LRC but does not mention the other types of spells. Follow on, do you need LoS to cast a Blessing?

*While not a reason, I know I and multiple opponents have cast Preseience from a transport without firing points at a unit outside the transport.

2) I had an LRC with capacity 16. Can I put 2 separate units in it at the same time? I had:

9 man Vet Squad with IC and a 5 man Command sqd with a Psyker --> (9+1) + (5+1) = 16

3) The Psyker had a PFG inside the LRC. Does the PFG affect the LRC?

Thank you.

Slavik

P.S. We ended up calling it after I was up 9-2.

1. No. Only witchfire powers can be cast from within a transport to a unit outside, using the fire ports. BRB, pg.78

-follow on question - it depends on the wording of the power, but basic BRB powers usually don't require it.

2. No. A transport can only have "a single Infantry unit and/or any number of Independent Characters". BRB, pg.78

3. No. Only the embarked unit is affected by the Powerfield Generator. C:DA FAQ

1. No. Only witchfire powers can be cast from within a transport to a unit outside, using the fire ports. BRB, pg.78

-follow on question - it depends on the wording of the power, but basic BRB powers usually don't require it.

2. No. A transport can only have "a single Infantry unit and/or any number of Independent Characters". BRB, pg.78

3. No. Only the embarked unit is affected by the Powerfield Generator. C:DA FAQ

This. You pretty much got cheated when your opponent casted Prescience on anything but the LRC the LIbrarian was riding in or the Unit inside the LRC. Also the only things I know of that allows multiple units inside the same transports are super heavies. 

2) I had an LRC with capacity 16. Can I put 2 separate units in it at the same time? I had:

9 man Vet Squad with IC and a 5 man Command sqd with a Psyker --> (9+1) + (5+1) = 16

On page 28 of the C:DA

""Note that two combat squads split from the same unit CAN embark in the same transport vehicle, providing it's transport capacity allows it."

While it's not what the OP did (which was against the rules), adding two units to one transport is not completely illegal.

Thank you for the information.

In regards to casting blessings out of transports, I have done it at multiple tournaments and had my opponents do it as well. No one has ever mentioned it.  Have people tried to do it at tournaments that you have attended? (I really thought that since blessings didn't need LOS, you could use powers out of vehicles. Also, I thought the Witchfire fire port rule was a restriction.)

P.S. Just to clarify, I was the one doing all the illegal things, not my opponent.  Since we didn't want to go rules hunting, we just rolled off for it. Other than the PFG blocking 2 melta pens on my LRC, it didn't make too much of a difference.

It was a big stink for the eldar with their psychic powers, they were used to sitting a farseer inside a falcon and buffing their army. The faq said no, had affected many a tournament.

While i understand the reason and power of the pfg not affecting its outside transports. I think for it's purpose and cost it should at least affect the vehicle the character is riding in... The da faq's have been very stupid from my point of view. How can a banner affect people who can't see it, but a ranged generated field, that affects both friendly and enemies, can't expand outside a vehicle. But that's another topic, and Tau wouldn't be as good if it worked like it's rules say.

Thank you for the information.

In regards to casting blessings out of transports, I have done it at multiple tournaments and had my opponents do it as well. No one has ever mentioned it.  Have people tried to do it at tournaments that you have attended? (I really thought that since blessings didn't need LOS, you could use powers out of vehicles. Also, I thought the Witchfire fire port rule was a restriction.)

P.S. Just to clarify, I was the one doing all the illegal things, not my opponent.  Since we didn't want to go rules hunting, we just rolled off for it. Other than the PFG blocking 2 melta pens on my LRC, it didn't make too much of a difference.

Page 67 of the BRB the top right corner has everything you need to know for declaring a target of psychic powers. As to the witchfire question, it says that you may shoot a witchfire power out of a fire point, and that it is the exception to the rule (BRB FAQ, top of page 8).

So even if you could cast a blessing out of a fire point (which you CANNOT do) you wouldn't be able to because the Land Raider has no fire points. 

Archived