basic anti Necron ideas

CrimsonFists333

Good day,  

my buddy who usually plays IG, is almost done building his Necron army. We'll start playing 1k-1.5k games soon.

I was just wondering what some basics strategies and codex space marine units/weaponry to use against.

He is keeping what he has to himself so i dont have any specifics.

Well, there are a few common things to note about necrons. 

Wipe out units. If you knock an entire unit down, then there will be no WBB roll (or what ever it is called now, I miss 4th ed necrons) 

They are optimized for 24", more so than us, so things like sterns with their 30" ammo, and long range guns like missiles are good. 

Their I2 is a real god send. It can make a massive difference in combat, and that is where you want to be against things like immortals. 

All (?) their units are LD10, so it will take luck to break them in shooting. In combat with a monster unit they can be broken easily, and then run down, also wiping out the unit (can you get the theme here?)

When you kill off those annoying units that have "Ever Living", and they try to get back up, they cant if there is no where to be placed within 3" of their final resting place (I.E. if the model can not be placed more than 1" from the base of another model). So if you kill a necron lord in combat, or over run and kill him (likely with I2), you can then consolidate over his body, killing him permanently. 

Lords normally have a 2+/3++, so they can be troublesome. Also they are T5, so it takes a lot to ID them, force weapons and demolisher cannons are good for this.

All the vehicles (Except the monolith and fliers) come with "Quantum Shielding", which makes them AV13 until they suffer a penetrating hit. At which point they drop down to AV11, making them easy pickings after that, they are also open topped, so most of the time that penetrating hit is all you need.

They have one of the strongest showings for fliers, simply through their sheer accessibility (dedicated transport).

As for specific marine tactics, Necrons do not have access to a lot of AP2 shooting weaponry, so terminators are a good bet. However, their is a counter point to terminators, that necrons do have a lot of high strength high rate of fire weapons, so they can do down to weight of fire easily. Probably, LC termies, as they can get busy chewing through all the squishy, slow, weak troops that necrons have. 

A plasma command squad is a great shout.

Avenger the power is awesome.

As said previously, Demolisher Cannons (I.E. Vindicators) are very powerful, although with gauss all over the place, they wont have a safe place to hide.

Storm Talons are your friend, at 1500pts you will want at least two, and if your friend is going for air domination, you will probably need a Quad gun too. The assault cannon makes mince meat of their warriors, and any of their small high powered units. Flavor the talons to taste, I like mine with lascannons, good for taking out other fliers.

Hope this helps. How competitively does your friend play, because that will dictate a lot of the units you will face. The book has a lot of "do" and "don't" take units, with very few "optional" units. 

ZP

Good day,  

my buddy who usually plays IG, is almost done building his Necron army. We'll start playing 1k-1.5k games soon.

I was just wondering what some basics strategies and codex space marine units/weaponry to use against.

Good day,  

also try to take down his anihiliation barge if he has one,cause its a

pain in the ass.for each 6 to Hit he gets he gets +1  attack.Its

weapons are also twin linked.so it can be very effective against flyers

too.(because of the 6 to Hit rule).try to stay away from the

wraiths,they are very good at close combat.Generally,necrons are very

powerful.the are very good all around(meele and ranged).they dont seem

to die.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having lots of trouble with necrons in this edition. 5th I won most of the time but now it seems like I am not even competitive anymore. Some of the problems I have are dealing with mind schackel, the triark pictorians and the lynchguard (forgive the spelling). The closest I got to being competitive was to run three drop pods. The first two with veteran units. Got me first blood and knocked him back a little but he quickly took control by the end of the turn.

I have quickly given up on armour because gauss just eats it before I even get close to making points back. They also seem to take minimal amount of basic troops and pile in the lords and other characters.

Ideas would be awesome because nothing in my old lists seemed to work.

Awesome, Thanks Zombie

Thats a lot of good info, the Quantum Shielding was something i had no idea about,

Ill probably use all of the units you recommended in our first bout (if points allow) to see how they work out

Do the fliers also have quantum shielding?  I don't remember seeing it in the DftS compendium

EDIT: Just checked both codex and Death from the Skies.  They don't have quantum shielding unless the FAQ changed it

Archived