Frag Cannon/Magna Grapple combo - extra range?

Midnightmare

You can cause casualties up to the maximum range of your longest ranged weapon when firing multiple weapons. It only increase the range of it's kill zone, not the flame template's coverage.

I thought that with vehicles, you measure the range of each weapon from the barrel of said weapon. I'm fuzzy on how one weapon can increase the range of a second weapon if that's the case?

You can cause casualties up to the maximum range of your longest ranged weapon when firing multiple weapons. It only increase the range of it's kill zone, not the flame template's coverage.

I thought that with vehicles, you measure the range of each weapon from the barrel of said weapon. I'm fuzzy on how one weapon can increase the range of a second weapon if that's the case?

Yes, you measure ranges like that.

Then you work out hits and wounds. A vehicle can only kill models as far away as it's longest ranged weapon.

Thus, if you had 10boys within 8", 15 within 12", and 20 within 16", 2 frag shots would only be able to kill a maximum of 10, even if both shots hit 10 boys each. Adding a 12" range weapon lets the wounds from the frag cannon spill over into the 8-12" zone.

Then you work out hits and wounds. A vehicle can only kill models as far away as it's longest ranged weapon.

Thus, if you had 10boys within 8", 15 within 12", and 20 within 16", 2 frag shots would only be able to kill a maximum of 10, even if both shots hit 10 boys each. Adding a 12" range weapon lets the wounds from the frag cannon spill over into the 8-12" zone.

Ok, I'm pretty tired but I think I understand what you're saying. I must admit it sounds a bit strange; I still would've thought that each weapon could only cause casualties up to it's own maximum range, but not having the rulebook to hand, I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I'm pretty tired but I think I understand what you're saying. I must admit it sounds a bit strange; I still would've thought that each weapon could only cause casualties up to it's own maximum range, but not having the rulebook to hand, I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the reply.

This happens because all rolls to hit and wounds are rolled simultaneously, which many gamers still do not do properly.

It's best not to think about it from a realistic point of view.

It is a game mechanic, nothing more.

It's a great idea to implement a maximum killing range for weapons, but on the other hand imagine how tedious it would in a game be to keep track of everything range-wise as well. Rolling takes long enough as it is already, I think the current situation is a nice compromise :)

Archived