How to kit Vanguard Veterans?

Vivster

I really want to use vanguard veterans in my army since I just love the pose of the models.

Here is a proposed list.

Vanguard Veterans (290)
1x Lightning Claw + BP
2x Power Fist + BP
1x Plasma Pistol and Relic Blade, Meltabombs
1x Plasma Pistol + Chainsword
Jump Packs

How would you guys improve on this?

Thanks

If you really want to use them, I would say throw them in a storm raven for protection.  5 really expensive guys with 3+ armor saves will not survive for very long on their own.  Plus, the raven would allow them to respond to any threat on the board by the second turn they arrrive.  18" combat speed move on the turn the Raven arrives (followed by its withering array of firepower, then 6" the next turn, 6" disembarkation move, and an average of around 7" charge distance on the VV (with re-rolls and Hammer of Wrath).  Its not all that efficient points-wise, but if you want to use them, that's how I would do it.

They are so flimsy, and can add up to so many points so quickly. like yours, what are they...? 5 models for 290 points! 7 terminators, 10 kitted out sternguard, all of these are around the same points cost with dramatically increased output. The raven idea is good, but then you are into nearly 500 points. And the unit wont last that long in combat. Against anything with equal initiative you are probably going to lose one guy, and with overwatch it wouldn't be surprising to lose one on the way in. Suddenly you are down to three guys. 

After all this negativity, I will point out that I my self run vanguard, but they cost 175 points and have JPs only. The power sword is normally enough. They drop in turn 2 (hopefully), and charge some big slow cumbersome scoring unit and duke it out until they either of them break or run out of wounds. I kept a unit of 15 necron warriors busy for 9 rounds of combat, before the sergeant finally fell to the 4 remaining warriors bludgeoning blows. This put them massively out of position and helped me to win the game. 

Vanguard are a distraction, and they are not worth their 175 point price tag. They should be 20 points per model, at the very most. They are so flimsy and their special rule you pay all those points for is only effective with another 10 points per model price tag! 

But they are fun. I'm sorry I appear to have rambled, but if you can take something from this then I hope you have. 

ZP

2 Plasma Pistols in 5 men is a bit dodgy, simply because although overheats are not common, Sod's Law dictates that it'll happen at the worst moment possible!

I'd consider replacing one of the pistols and maybe one of the powerfists with Storm Shields. Improves the survivability of the squad a  little (put these guys in the front to act as bullet stops for the other lads) and if you swap a plas pistol for one, it's the same cost for an already expensive unit.

Well, that's my view of them anyway.

Just to clarify I am using the vanilla marine codex for these guys. I have taken onboard some advice and have come up with this. What do you guys think?

1 Space Marine Sergeant w/ Power Armour, Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Frag and Krak Grenades, Jump Pack 

2 Veterans w/ Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades, Chainsword, Jump Pack 

1 Veteran w/ Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Sword, Jump Pack 

1 Veteran w/ Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Axe, Jump Pack 

235 points

I would personally throw in another storm shield in there unless you are hoping for a lucky deep strike.

I was thinking about running some myself.  Here was my set-up (mind you this is for higher points games), and they will be in a Storm Raven

Captain with Atificer armor, SS, Relic Blade, and Jump Pack
Vanguard Sgt. with axe and sword
2 Veterans with chainsword and storm shields
2 Veterans with chainsword and BPs

Archived