New to the Order

joshuarad2

Hey whats up everyone.  I am new to posting on the site but am not new to the site as I have prowled across it looking at topics, builds, and various other things.  I have been playing 40k for about 5 months now and honestly from what I have seen I have appeared to pick one of the hardest armies for a beginner.....the Deathwing.  For now I have just been playing for fun but would love to eventually get involved in tournaments.  I have been real hesitant on it as while I always have a great time playing it is rare that I win the match.  I will be posting my lists in the appropriate area for proper feedback but I also would love any tactics that people can share when running the Deathwing.  I look forward to chatting with everyone and learning from people as well as sharing my experiences thus far.

Welcome to the Rock (as Sean Connery once said ;) )

Deathwing is easy to play......Deep strike in......get shot to hell.....lose the game.....

....at least that's what happens to me teehee.gif

Hey whats up everyone.  I am new to posting on the site but am not new to the site as I have prowled across it looking at topics, builds, and various other things.  I have been playing 40k for about 5 months now and honestly from what I have seen I have appeared to pick one of the hardest armies for a beginner.....the Deathwing.  For now I have just been playing for fun but would love to eventually get involved in tournaments.  I have been real hesitant on it as while I always have a great time playing it is rare that I win the match.  I will be posting my lists in the appropriate area for proper feedback but I also would love any tactics that people can share when running the Deathwing.  I look forward to chatting with everyone and learning from people as well as sharing my experiences thus far.

Welcome to the Chapter brother.

I'd say probably the most important thing when playing with Deathwing is Target Priority; you will never have 'enough' models on the board so you need to be sure and destroy those units that pose the greatest threat to your Terminators. Deathwing, like any other Terminators, are deadly both at range and in Melee but I'd say Melee is where you'd rather be. There are fewer AP2 Melee weapons around than there are AP2 firearms.

Apparently, March10k (a member on here) has a pretty brutal Deathwing list with multiple Land Raiders so if you can get in touch with him, he can probably provide you with a wealth of advice.

facmanpob is doing it wrong....   You castle up on your side of the board and footslog from your side of the table, get shot up and lose the game...

There are several decent lists in the Armylist folder.  I really want to make a 3 raider list work but you REALLY dont have enough boots on the ground.

Welcome to the Rock...  Chamber 42 is down that hallway on the left...

Yea the one time that deepstrike worked really well for me was a 10 man squad with 2 ACs  and the rest SBs dropping in with Belial for some nasty shooty fun.  Destroyed a squad of nids and his walker with that volley thanks to a little splitfire fun and a lucky rend.  I have looked at that dual LR build and it does look quite nasty.  I have thought about investing in another LRC and trying that out.  People already get kind of big eyed when a Deathwing army hits the field....I can imagine the looks with two LRCs rolling in with them.

You are all doing it wrong: You either deepstrike/footslog and get plasma cannoned to death by enemy oblitorators. Then you LRC arrives just in time. Your deathwing knights and bels destroy whatever they charge and die next turn by bolter fire. Then you loose the game. My tactics are best by virtue of gaining one VP....Amauteurs....

As many have pointed out, Deathwing are pretty much an uphill battle the moment you decide to use them exclusively. Footslogging them allows your opponent to shoot them up before you get in range to do anything effective (i.e. assault), Deepstriking puts you in a nice template shaped formation. And if you run spread out, you lose vengeful strike. The reason the two LRC lists have been successful is that you can use them to block LoS and minimize your opponents ability to shoot you up.

It's not all doom and gloom though, plopping anymore than 15 terminators down is going to scare a lot of people. Then there's the fact that when you start kicking butt with them, you can rest easy in the fact that its due to you're strategic genius, not some net list or cheesy army smile.png

I have to agree with you 100% Indigo and it has actually helped me evolve very quickly with tactics as there is never room for error so when I make a mistake it is painfully obvious and a lesson learned.  I have also been doing an uphill battle in the fact that I am still learning other armies and what they do.  Sometimes run across a unit that I did not know was so vicious until it was too late.  Thanks for the support everyone both on here and on my army list.  Hopefully I can report back some positive results from the learning experiences.  :)

I have to agree with you 100% Indigo and it has actually helped me evolve very quickly with tactics as there is never room for error so when I make a mistake it is painfully obvious and a lesson learned. I have also been doing an uphill battle in the fact that I am still learning other armies and what they do. Sometimes run across a unit that I did not know was so vicious until it was too late. Thanks for the support everyone both on here and on my army list. Hopefully I can report back some positive results from the learning experiences. smile.png

Like many games the real learning curve is figuring out other armies/characters/abilities/what have you. Never stop learning smile.png

Archived