Powerfists

Montuhotep

You got really lucky with each of those characters. Even a Vindicare assassin should stand an even chance against a PF sergeant. But also remember that a power axe would have an easier time insta-killing Coteaz since it gets an extra attack and it is S6 vs T3.<br /><br />So really a PF is most useful against a multi-wound T4 model that strikes at I1 and doesn't have an invulnerable save, although the sergeant would still probably have a greater chance of dying than the enemy. Oh, and also only if your opponent accepts the challenge and doesn't have a basic sergeant to throw at you instead.<br /><br />But even then, the odds are not good for the sergeant. Even if he gets the charge he will probably just die. If a PF sergeant charges a basic chaplain, so the PF sergeant has 3 attacks and the chaplain has his base three attacks, the chaplain will still win 70% of the time. If the chaplain charges, there is an 87% chance the sergeant is going to die before he does anything. Against a bare librarian, it is about the same. VS someone striking at I1, the sergeant does well, since he can still land in a blow before dying. But if there is an invulnerable save, the odds go back to being like vs the chaplain or librarian.<br /><br />Versus T3, single wound T4 models, and T5, the power axe is better and 10 points cheaper. These are also the kinds of models that the sergeant might have a shot against in close combat. Also there are very few multi-wound T4 models, T6+ models, or walkers that the power fist sergeant can survive one round with or that the enemy can't protect from the PF sergeant.

I'm more than willing to gamble a simple sergeant for a key character and/or warlord VP. Specially since it guarantees that the character in question can only do a single wound in that combat phase. 

Not sure why I should be worried about things like fighty captains and chaplains when librarians, MotFs, inquisitors and such are more common. 

Again, use placement and the I1 pile in if you want to protect the fist from p strikes or challenges. 

Axes are +1 strength, not +2. So no ID on T3. 

Ah, I always get the maul and axe mixed up. Anyway, I was thinking, and yeah, if an I1 T3 or T4 character is in a duel with your sergeant, even if the sergeant is stuck at his 2 base attacks, the odds are not in your favor but there is a chance of the character being gibbed, even if he has a 3++. If your meta is filled with lots of tough but I1 dudes, the power fist would have a good place. But any character fighting at a higher initiative has a whole lot less to worry about. Another thing in the power fist's favor is that a lot of people would be more scared of getting their IC character killed than the actual chance of it happening.<br /><br />If you want to use a sergeant to challenge an IC, you can either send one with no upgrades, or send one that costs a lot more who will usually not do anything more than the cheaper one.<br /><br />While the reward can be really high by arming your sergeant with a PF, I just feel the risk is too high and it won't come in handy enough. It is a shame though, since I have so many metal and finecast sergeants/captains armed with fists and hammers...

It's definitely situational, but there are many good targets for a Pfist sergeant.

I must say though that I would not take a fist on a lone character without the mobility of a bike or jump pack. Being able to pick the fight is essential.

I'm looking at this from a very different angle as I play SW and in a unit of Grey Hunters the power fist is not on a character model so they are much more reliable for being able to deliver the smack down than other marines toting a fist.  I'd not bother with a fist on most marines who can take them as they are less likely to get to use them but the wolves I'd say they are a much more viable option.

Though the more I look at it Mauls might actually be one of the better options as long as you are not facing marines.

Archived