Reinforcements are en Route!

Ushtarador

Hail Brothers!

I have just received word that Baal has dispatched a glorious Thunderhawk gunship to assists our efforts in the ongoing crusades. Unfortunately, due to the random nature of warpspace the ETA is still completely uncertain. The latest status report looked something like this:

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130519/kyhfjsjl.jpg

In this thread I'll try to document the building and painting of my latest acquirement, the Thunderhawk I gave myself for my master's degree smile.png It will of course bear the colors of our chapter, and hopefully it will not take overly long, as I'll try to focus as much as possible on this project.

Thanks for the encouragement, I might need it in the weeks to come :) I started cleaning the main hull now, it seems to fit quite well, lucky me I guess!

Colour me jealous!

You've turned a shade of Mephiston Red tongue.png

Congratulations on the Degree, brother! It wasn't a Mechanicus Techmarine course on Mars, was it?

Haha thanks, actually you're quite close, I'm now a Master of Mechanical Engineering at ETH in Switzerland (I should ask them to write Techmarine on the certificate though, that would be awesome!)

Please tell me you're pledging this for ETL =)

I am almost certain I would fail to finish this baby in time, sorry ^^ If it were already built that would be a different matter, but one shouldn't rush such a model :)

I started painting the cargo bay and the cockpit before continuing with the assembly, and I also decided to go all the way and include some LEDs in the cockpit and maybe on the wing tips. If you have more crazy suggestions electronic or otherwise, feel free to contribute :D

• 2 weeks later...

hooray, a first update! Assembly is about 90% complete, I just need to greenstuff the gaps, decide whether I want to attach the attack wing before painting, finish the main gun and glue on all the bling I found in my bitz box.

Inspired by the awesome RECO Stormwall (

if you haven't seen it yet!), I decided to equip my turbolaser with a metal tube and a glowbulb so I can shoot flashcotton at the heretics biggrin.png it's still under assembly, but I'll make a video once everything works!

I also painted the interior of course, hard to do that when it's assembled. The pics were taken on the fly with my mobile cam, sorry for the inferior quality. I'll get some nicer ones as soon as I manage to steal my girlfriends cam biggrin.png

Pinning the wings (using 3mm metal rods should give an additional structure point I think):

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130604/6k59uka2.jpg

I also decided to add some LEDs to light up the cockpit and cargo bay (I'm thinking about putting some on the wing tips as well, just need to come up with a clever way to place them):

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130604/temp/hq95ftww.jpg

http://s7.directupload.net/images/130604/temp/v5yk9swr.jpg

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130604/temp/lh3ju4oz.jpg

And current state (cockpit is magnetized and will sit straight once the greenstuff has set, and the front hatch can be opened)::

http://s14.directupload.net/images/130604/fqat9orx.jpg

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130604/ap6j3eaa.jpg

Thanks guys!

Actually, I'll most likely just wrap it around the stand and store everything in the base smile.png since it's gonna need a huge base anyway, there should be a lot of room to hide stuff, and it's a lot easier to replace the batteries that way. I'll just need to let the wire look 40k'ish, but I'm sure I'll think of something biggrin.png

Is it just me though or is this model filled with crevices and gaps? ermm.gif The front also looks abit.... crooked.

Sorry if im using the wrong words but its looks a little off. That said cudos for buildings such a large model :) your a braver man than I am :tu:

Is it just me though or is this model filled with crevices and gaps? ermm.gif The front also looks abit.... crooked.

Sorry if im using the wrong words but its looks a little off. That said cudos for buildings such a large model :) your a braver man than I am :tu:

I think it's the moulds you know, spoken to some others that have one, and they, like mine, had a bit of a twisty fuselage. And the gap between how the wing and body..is about a cm! Green stuff ahoy and dremmel!

There were quite some gaps, and people say I was lucky, so your resolve has to be strong if you ever want to build such a model that's true tongue.png

My wings fit really tightly, I had the most problem with the small part the rear engine sits on and the front cockpit, those didn't quite fit in the beginning. I'm also pretty sure the walls aren't rectangular everywhere, but luckily you don't notice unless you really look for it, since it's such a large model. I'm sure you could do it better, but I just wanted to get on with the fun stuff tongue.png The gap along the side is actually an optical illusion because I primed the interior black, it fits tightly there smile.png the front also looks better now, in this pictures the cockpit wasn't sitting straight yet, that adds a lot to the weird look.
The gaps are now greenstuffed as well, it shouldn't be a problem once it's painted.

I also got more inspiration from other people's LED projects and added lights to the wings, front and flashing ones to the elevator. I'll also model the engine exhausts using flickering blue and white LEDs. I also intend to motorize the heavy bolter turrets below to make them rotatable. I want to talk with people at my LGS this weekend to finalize it so I can get to ordering everything at once smile.png if you have any more ideas no matter how ridiculous, just post them here and I'll see what can be done! Of course stupid to assemble everything first and then have a lot of new ideas, owell... here's a small teaser of the wing leds (red and green will be blinking once I get the microcontroller):

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130607/68yor8ml.jpg

@MidnightRunner That's a good idea with the ruin, I'll look into it smile.png
@Theredknight My angels are inspired by the flesh tearers scheme, so it's gonna be a lot of dark red, black and gold. I also want to draw some big freehand angel's wings on the wings, but I have to get some more practice for that I think ^^

Speakers in the engines which make jet turbine sounds!  Why stop at just lights when you can have light *and* sound!

If we're getting really crazy, is the big cannon going to seal tight enough that you might be able to use pressurized air or a CO2 cartridge to 'fire the cannon' (probably with some sort of lightweight ball as a 'shell')... I'd need to actually have the model in front of me to know how feasible that was to do...  At least I'm assuming that cannon is going to be a tube...   I suppose the other way to make the cannon work would be to use a strong spring and have a cocking mechanism and a lock that could be released.

You asked for ideas no matter how ridiculous, so there you go.  (If you manage to make the cannon 'work', that will pretty much win the ridiculous prize).

I think I've written it somewhere further up, but the cannon will actually shoot flash cotton triggered by a glowplug, a friend of mine is supplying me with the necessary metal parts. :D

Your idea with the CO2 might well work too though, shouldn't be that hard, something to consider for the future ;)

There will actually be a speaker with some pre-programmed audio files on the base, so making jet turbine sound would be quite straightforward. I'm just a bit afraid that it would be too annoying, but I'll give it a try!

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it :)

I'm not fond of thunderhawks per se, but that's a damn good job all round there smile.png I look forward to seeing the cannon in action. may have to shamelessly steal that from you biggrin.png

If you are looking for other electronics bits for light and sound etc, maybe you could look at model railway suppliers. They have all sorts of electrical gizmos like lights, smoke units and such.

Could you give us a blow-by-blow account as to how you are making/have made the main gun fire using the gun cotton? I'd be very interest to try that out on a vindicator

Archived