Blood Angels Armor - AV 13 and 14 viable?

Max Power

Hail, Brothers.

In preparing for our local Feast of Blades qualifier, I'm attempting to make a list that's out of the norm. With the introduction of Tau to the meta, and a decrease in melta in favor of plasma weaponry, I'm wondering how a Blood Angels armor list would do. I will admit that I'm planning on having tau as allies for the purpose of handling my anti-air, but I won't go into that on this site. So, the core of my army will have some troops in land raiders, baal and standard predators. With glancing only stripping a hullpoint, rather than shutting down a tank for a turn, that means my predators should be firing more often. Being fast vehicles, they're mobile. In addition to this, the FoB qualifier is using the scouring and big guns never tire for missions, so my tanks would score.

What do you guys think? Anyone having luck with BA armored spearheads?

That's a great point, Xenith. I hadn't considered Furiosos to apply more pressure. I'd me more likely to take librarian dreads with wings, as drop podding anything with Tau interceptor fire everywhere concerns me a bit

And don't forget Land Raiders in 'troops' slots as dedicated transports =)

But seriously, I've always played mechanized BA and I'm not about to change now.  Heck, I'm still using rhino tactical squads.  At 2000 points I'm throwing down 2 LRRs, 2 Baals, 2 P Destructors, and 2 Rhinos.  (I'd love to fit more in, but I also like full squads).

Edit: If i had the models, I'd totally consider a 3x Podded Furioso, 3x Baal, 3x Vindicator army (probably running podded DC and DC Dread as troops, to get all 3 furiosos down turn 1). 

Some day I will have every possible model combination to run... some day.

Feed back is feedback, right?

I've only played 2 games with the armor 13 wall. First game was against footcrons and the last game was against Imperial Guard TAC list.

At 1850, I run a Librarian w/ jump pack. sanguinary priest with jump pack. 3 assault squads. 3 baal, 2 tank buster preds, 1 vindicator.

This is possibly the most scissory army I have ran, and It falls over like a house of cards to 1)Ordinance 2)Things that deny cover. 3)Horde lists that only can exist in a friendly game.

Against the Crons, it worked wonderfully. Yeah, it was footcrons, but when almost every tank is able to stay outside of 24", it was very durable. You could assume it would work equally as well, with plasma needing 6's to glance as well.

The IG. I could claim it was down to dice. I could claim my 2000 point list I was using (honor guard suicide squad in a pod) was just something I threw together. But even though I stopped the basilisk from killing my troops, this list has no way to actually move forward. Loss on kill points.

I prefer to play a more aggressive list. I do not know how the big tournaments and the meta plays, but it would seem the baals are almost too expensive if you add any sponsons on to them. The only Issue I see with the wall is the Blood Angels don't have the point efficiency as other armies who can spam armor.

All in all, the 13 wall was fast. Not exactly fun but it felt like the assault squads were enough to counter any real anti-tanks threat. But, that's just my list. If you add Tau allies, what do you plan on bringing?

That's a great point, Xenith. I hadn't considered Furiosos to apply more pressure. I'd me more likely to take librarian dreads with wings, as drop podding anything with Tau interceptor fire everywhere concerns me a bit

This isn't so bad when you are running lots of armour. Dropping infantry in will see them nova reactored out of existence. Dropping in amour when you have lots of other armour on the table should be fine, as they will be shooting at armour every turn regardless.

Archived