Ravenwing scout move?

John_f

This is a question for all you ravenwing players out there. How are you using the scout move? i just found out that the scout move does not count as moving so you wont get your jink save (meaning darkshroud is very fragile and bikes are "just" T5 marines.. So do you use your scout move to advance even if you are going second? Moving 12" forward if your opponent is going first could potentially take you into rapid fire range without the jink save...

I try to place at least two big LOS-blocking pieces of terrain 12" away from my deployment zone. Scout up behind them and the bikes will be safe from enemy fire even if your opponent goes first.

In one game this backfired spectacularly as my opponent infiltrated a team of three Stealth Suits behind the ruin I was intending to scout into. I had three bike squads to scout, and the best I could manage was about 6" forward and a little towards the flank. Most of the time it works out okay, though.

I mostly use it to re-deploy. Make my opponent think I'm going one way the switch it up on em'. If I'm going second I usually run for los blocking cover.

I've tried a hyper aggressive deployment when going first but always seem to loose to a steal the initiative roll.

And the thing to remember is that in many cases there isn't a whole lot to gain by scouting up the full distance. Zooming in to alpha strike with rapid-firing plasmas equals dead bike squads by the end of the opponent's assault phase.

Dakka bikes (Standard of Devastation) work just as well from 24" away, melta bikes I've found to work best outflanking, and plasmas can do their thing on turn two when the return fire won't hopefully be as punishing.

Archived