Scratchbuilt adventures... The Warhound Titan

I do not tremble, my hands do not quiver. Dexterity and logic are the greatest gifts the mighty Omnissiah can bestow us. I am far from attaining symbiosis with the Machine God, but I am still a loyal follower of the Cult Mechanicus. His name is on my, still human, lips each morning I arise in my compact cell in the Tech Colony of Castra Regina, my heart pounds with joy, as the grav train hurtles me towards the Great Forges of Batavis, courseing red-hot Vindelician blood through my veins. My mind races and my skin perspires as binary prayers to the Deus Mechanicus are fired into my mind. For today is no normal day...

...Today is the day I set forth on my own Quest for Knowledge.

The steps leading up toViperia Nigrum, the halls of my Arch Magos, glisten, the passage of the faithful arresting the onset of oxidisation much as our works arrest the destructive powers of Chaos.

My brief reverie is extinguished as I crest the staircase and offer the Skitarii guardsmen my subdermal Identi-Chip. Pulses and datastreams course over his lenses as my file is plucked from the great cogitators of the forge. A grating blurt of binary is emitted through harsh, static-laden speakers. Despite lacking the necessary implants for a direct binaric interface, the message is clearly understood:

++++

Authorisation approved.

Greetings Novice, report to your Magos in the forge hall Kappa Theta 38.

Blessings to the Omnissiah

++++

I cross the threshold of the Forge, joining the relentless flow of bodies moving in perfect mechanical fluidity.

Today is the day I begin my journey.

Today is the day I build a Titan.

Ahem,

Yes folks, I have decided to swap muscle, blood and bone for an Xacto replacement digit and join the ranks of the scratchbuilders. As a preface I should say I have NO experience in this field, my painting is substandard to what I have witnessed in these hallowed walls and I have a tendancy to think far bigger than I should.

Blackadder's fantastic work will act as my inspiration and I'm sure you will see several reworkings of many of the parts in the images below.

The items in this first post were put together over a long (3 day) weekend and I have to say i am quite pleased. I know the lines aren't crisp and there are big gaps (to be GS'ed at a later date) but for now it retains the semblance of warhound.

Crits and comments are greatly appreciated and given the nature of the beast, updates will be slow in coming, as such I promise to continue the tale of the adept as my own develops if everyone wishes. Brownie points if you can guess the theme for the settings tongue.png

Until then, open the spoiler, please enjoy and let me know what you think!

1   ThreeQuart View

2   TQ with Scale

3   Profile view

4   Top Down view

5   Rear view

6   Cockpit detail view

7   Cockpit interior

No pictures/tales from Vindelicia this time, but I do have a couple of queries for the lucky/talent people who own/have made their Titans...

RE: the Turbo Lasers, I've been looking at scavenging a Valkyrie for the cockpit parts, the pilot and the turbines for various detailing projects on the Warhound and wondered if the actual engines on the plane are of a sufficient length and diameter to be converted into the barrels of the Turbo Laser?

In other news I have started detailing the shoulders and top of the Titan's body, will be adding vents, pipes, skulls and rivets in an attempt to grimdark it up a little.I'm aiming to have some more progress pics by the end of the week, but in the meantime if anyone has any ideas for bits I can obtain to save me from trying to make a poor immitation in plasticard I will sacrifce a heretic on the Alter of the Omnissiah in your name!

Good evening all!

The bank holiday brought me some more time to sit down and forge ahead with the next stage of my warhound - the leg construction. After having bought enough pipe to make a full Legio of the beasts (£5 for 4meters!!) I set to work.

In the end I have mixed emotions when I look at it. On the one hand the semi-completed construction of the legs has inched me closer to getting an impression of what it will look like when it is done, but on the other, there is a large degree of "wonkiness" both in my plasticard cutting and in the constructing of the beast. If i position the warhound in a walking motion it should diminish the effect, or at least how noticable it is, but as a lazy perfectionist (want it 100% but cant be bothered!) it's got my goat.

Also did some work on the top half, adding some details to the top and rear paneling and have ordered some bits to  spruce everything up, though I am still waiting on them to arrive.

My next stage is to get the toes sorted. My plan was to just do one and then cast it using Oyumaru and Green Stuff, but given that one joint slides into the other, this may prove difficult. oh well. For now I am essentially two feet and a conection between waist and body away from having a completed, weaponless Warhound husk to flesh out and make my mark on. And to have that done in three weeks, as a total novice, isn't a bad effort.

As before I've spoilered the images to save some spaces on the post.

C&C is welcomed and dearly sought after.

Best,

Tony

Leg construct

Leg - side view

Leg hydraulics

Waist/Cod-piece

Top panelling detail

Rear Panelling detail

Archived