Assault Squads for DA

Ok Brothers and Sisters (if you're out there),

Here is my question and quandary. I love Assault Squads. Love the models the idea the whole nine yards. I understand they aren't competitive and BA do it better etc. But I like DA and Love Interregator Chappy's and Assault Squads. So my question to all of you is this. How do I make a semi competitive list out of at least two full Assault Squads? I figure I would have a Int. Chappy with JP to help out and maybe a Company master with Pack as well. Anything else goes as far as I'm concerned so please help me come up with something that would work in say a 2K list. I know there are a few threads of viability and what have you. I know bikes assault better and are tougher but I need the veterans here to help me because at the moment I feel weak and am being tempted by our red bretheren.

Thank you in advance DoC Sgt.

The competition Assault Squads face is fierce - Dark Angels' Fast Attack slots are really competitive and the worst part is not having the "Hit and Run" Special Rule that allows you to swing in and out combat when you please is really difficult - but not impossible.

There's not much of an advantage really... except that an Interrogator Chaplain's gear choices can make or break him: you most likely want to take that Mace of Redemption for a good close combat weapon (not sure if the extra attack's already included in the profile... Asmodai would get 4 attacks since he now has a Bolt Pistol - something I need to be cleared up for myself at some point...).

After that, I'd say you really need to build around the Assault Squad - they can't be the only ones in the fight otherwise they'll get slaughtered really easily: either from the way in or whilst in the fight so some way of getting them to stay safe would be nice. One possible solution could be the Veteran Squad - their effectiveness could really come out when used together as a pseudo pile in - especially if equipped with a combination of different shields.

I think after that... it's just picking your targets wisely... Assault Squad and the Veteran Squad are pretty fragile in comparison to tougher Deathwing Knights but both "greenwing" squads have speed on their side, as well as not being "useless" for the first couple of turns trying to get into close combat.

Finally, I would THINK that having a Ravenwing Grenade Launcher or Stasis Bomb assault on a particularly tough target be a good way to allow for your fast units to close in and assault in the same turn for a slight advantage. However, all of this costs around 500-800 points already... and devoting that much into it, is a bit much... should be fine for fun games though, since Warhammer 40,000 is pretty much all about having one more point than your opponent, lol.

hmmmm Do you like hordes of infantry? if so, the DA can field a complete battle company at 1850pts (without vehicles) consisting of a company master, 6 tactical squads, 2 devastators, and 2 full assault squads. 

100 marines at 1850pts :P

From what I've read on this forum since the advent of the new codex, twin flamers with combi-flamer on the sergeant seems to be considered efficient, possibly in a drop pod.

Of course, that's for the shooting phase, not the assault phase.

hmmmm Do you like hordes of infantry? if so, the DA can field a complete battle company at 1850pts (without vehicles) consisting of a company master, 6 tactical squads, 2 devastators, and 2 full assault squads.

All those 3+ saves must enjoy helldrakes.

The problem with the assault squads especially full squads is getting then across the table. There is there options, drop pod, gets you there, you sit around die, becoming combat ineffective.

Land raiders loosing the jump packs (maybe) is good to get there but once the you have no maneuverability, fine for compact targets, poor vs, everything else.

Jump pack, excellent and useful, the problem is hiding 10+ marines as you try to cross the board. Same problem as drop podding you'll likely end up combat ineffective.

The best way is to give more priority targets for the opponent to shoot at. A dakka banner works well and also helps thin down the opponent into smaller squads for the assault squad clean up. But you need them at least half way across the board.

Scouts good but poor combat stats and low survivability is a draw back.

Bikes good but expensive. Take up assault squad slots, means you have to use samael or azrail to lead.

Tactical squad need a drop pod making then expensive dollar wise and modeling wise. Other wise good but you do have to spend points for extra pods so tactical marines come in turn 1. Followed by a command squad or dwcs on turn 2.

Now you'll also need long range fire support to open up enemy transports so you can get to the juicy center.

It all depends against which army you deploy them. Only guard, sisters and tau will consider an assault squad a threat.

The problem IMHO is their number of attacks, it is not big enough.  I could see them as a suicide one shot 5man squad with flamers or combi melta but thats it.

I run mine with dual flamers accompanying an interrogator chaplain with a mace of redemption, I use them to support my deathwing. They haven't dissapointed

They can be perfectly viable as long as you support them properly (or use them to support other units is more to the point).

Try dropping in Pod vets or DWK or Belial+DW of choice as the Alpha wave and using the Aslt marines and other fast units such as RAS/RWCS/RWK as a second wave, used as the primary force they will get smashed due to being merely 3+ marheens.

Put heaps of terrain at 12" intervals between them and the intended target area to help them out too.

Also important is the use of cheap long ranged firepower to open up tin cans/remove major threats prior to arrival as mentioned above.

Combine your arms and overwhelm the oppositions target priority membrane...

That is all.

+1 to using Ravenwing Attack Squadrons as Troops - so Sammael as your HQ

+1 to a pod of Vets

Maybe use a Dark Shroud?  Though that would preclude using any Ravenwing Knights.  Although you could take a Ravenwing Command Squad for the same purpose.

Here's a wacky idea - take a bike-mounted Techmarine and give him a power field generator.  Have him accompany one of your Assault Squads till it gets stuck in - then have him break off and hang back just far enough so he's just granting your guys the 4++ and not your opponent's stuff.  Or, if it's a unit like Howling Banshees, go ahead and have him get stuck in.  I think it'd be comical to see the look on an Eldar player's face when you tell him everybody around the Techie gets a 4++.

I went ahead and knocked together a possible list following the original criteria.

Chaplain: jump pack; melta bombs; bolt pistol; crozius arcanum. 110

Company Master: jump pack; power weapon; melta bombs; artificer armour; bolt pistol. 145

Dreadnought: power fist (heavy flamer). 140

Drop Pod

10 Tactical Space Marines: Space Marine Sergeant (melta bombs); meltagun; multi-melta. 200

Rhino

10 Tactical Space Marines: Space Marine Sergeant (melta bombs); meltagun; multi-melta. 200

Rhino

Drop Pod

10 Assault Space Marines: jump packs; 2× flamer. 180

10 Devastator Space Marines: 3× missile launcher (flakk missiles); lascannon. 285

Drop Pod: deathwind launcher.

Vindicator: dozer blade. 130

Aegis Defence Lines: gun emplacement with quad-gun. 100

2,000 points

The idea here is that you'll have some stuff dropping behind the opponent's line that will keep him occupied while you advance while still having the tactical flexibility as to when you drop certain units. Assault squad moves up taking advantage of LoS and cover as much as possible, aiming for a turn three assault. You can drop the devestator's empty pod turn 1 if you want to save the tac squad for later objective grabbing or if you think you need more melta in the backfield from the get go you can save the empty pod for last. Empty pod has a death wind so that you can drop it on an objective and have an actual threat that they'll have to deal with. Dread is there to take some pressure off of the v

I went ahead and knocked together a possible list following the original criteria.

Chaplain: jump pack; melta bombs; bolt pistol; crozius arcanum. 110

Company Master: jump pack; power weapon; melta bombs; artificer armour; bolt pistol. 145

Dreadnought: power fist (heavy flamer). 140

Drop Pod

Rhino

Rhino

Drop Pod

10 Devastator Space Marines: 3× missile launcher (flakk missiles); lascannon. 285

Drop Pod: deathwind launcher.

Aegis Defence Lines: gun emplacement with quad-gun. 100

2,000 points

The idea here is that you'll have some stuff dropping behind the opponent's line that will keep him occupied while you advance while still having the tactical flexibility as to when you drop certain units. Assault squad moves up taking advantage of LoS and cover as much as possible, aiming for a turn three assault. You can drop the devestator's empty pod turn 1 if you want to save the tac squad for later objective grabbing or if you think you need more melta in the backfield from the get go you can save the empty pod for last. Empty pod has a death wind so that you can drop it on an objective and have an actual threat that they'll have to deal with. Dread is there to take some pressure off of the vindicator a as they advance as they'll be your primary source of ap2.

Play around with the points a little. Might be that you'd rather have a venerable to tank shots better, or don't think that you need the company master taking shots for your squads. Basic idea shouldn't be too terrible.

EDIT: There are some other improvements you could probably make, but I figured I'd keep it all greenwing.

Archived