Help fighting IG

Entry1

Hey everyone, I'm playing my first game since 4th Ed with my new Nurgle themed army at 1850 points. My buddy plays guard and is a competent and competitive player. I'm not looking to win but on the other hand its no fun for anyone getting blown off the table. The models I have are limited so I'll post the information on both lists and was wondering if you guys could provide a little
tactical advice and identify any major threats or problems I will face. I know the Flyers are going to be a major headache but oh well...so here goes;

Nugrle List

Headquarters

Nurgle Biker Warlord with fist/claw, blight grenades and 4++

6 nurgle bikers with Claw Champion and two meltas.

Troops

6 Plague Marines w/2 Plasma in Rhino w/dirge caster

6 Plague Marines w/2 Plasma in Rhino w/dirge caster

Fast Attack

Heldrake with Flamer

Heavy
Support

Vindy w/dozer

Vindy w/dozer

Allies

Great Unclean One w/Greater Gift x2 and Psyker 3

10 Plague Bearers

Nurgle Daemon Prince w/wing armor and 2 greater gifts.

Not the most ideal list but I went more for theme and fun then competitive, and these are the only models I have currently http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/images/smilies/grin.gif

Imperial Guard List; not sure what a lot of this stuff is but it seems pretty well
suited to blow me off the table.

Company Command

Colonel Straken, Astropath, 2 bodyguards Master of Ordinance, Officer of the Fleet. Not a clue what any of this means LOL

Aegis and Quad Gun

Troops

4 Vets squads with 9 troopers, sergeant and 3 plasma

Elite

Marbo? no idea

Fast

Sentinal w/LasCannon

Squadron of 3 Vendetta's w/TL:LC

Heavy

Griffon w/Mortar and Heavy Flamer

2 Hydra Flak w/HF

Leman Russ w/Battle Cannon, LC and Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Well like I said not looking to win just looking to have a competitive fight and have some fun. He has several games under his belt
and is a good guy. We both exchanged lists so there were no surprises and this is going to be more or less a learning experience for me. Thanks for the help guys thanks.gif

Hey have you had the game yet and if so how did it go?

Can't offer you much advice as I have only played about 5 games of 6th myself and none were against IG players. I do know however that marbo is a pretty bad ass guardsman that can do all kinds of tricks and operates alone so maybe worth keeping an eye on him and trying to kill him.

I think the vindicators are a good idea and should spell a lot of trouble for his vets if you can direct hit a pie on them!

All I can say from the Guard point of view is: ouch! That looks like a pretty solid list and so much plasma no wonder you're having trouble he must pulverise your Plague Marines in short order. Hydras will rake the sky clean so maybe you should reconsider your flying robo-dragon? Especially as he's got a Quad gun, he'll be able to ground flying MCs easily too.

His Company Command Squad is pretty expensive, I'm not quite sure what he uses Straken for in this list as it looks like the Vets might be hitching rides on the Vendettas? That or hiding behind the Aegis. He's playing with reserve rolls too with the Master of the Fleet. Marbo will appear out of nowhere and demo charge you, usually killing himself in the process but there's not much you can do to prevent that.

I'm not familiar with the new Chaos codex but his list feels a lot more optimised and focused. As Nurgle worshipper maybe you should embrace that more? He can probably reliably take out your armour and MCs (whatever the Vendettas target best be commended to the dark gods...) so perhaps some Rhino embarked troops to rush in and get to grips with him? You're not going to be winning any shooting matches here so best pick a strategy and go all out, outflanking units might be worth considering too.

As you're limited by what models you have I think you might be up the creek without a paddle against this list... Hopefully a fellow filthy traitor can come in and give you some advice from the other side of the table!

Hey thanks for the help everyone!! I know its not looking good for me, I planned on rushing him with a refused flank and overwhelm him with threats. However not sure how well that will work. I was trying to do the math on getting the Greater Unclean One into CC, to deep strike or not to Deep strike. When he is lowering my reserve roles it makes it that much harder, plus if he starts on the table he may very well get blasted off. I guess it depends on what I land for gifts and biomancy powers although I don't like relying on random stuff like that. Thanks again for the help. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated =)

Ouch indeed!

Some things I notice:

I don't know much about Daemons, but aren't both the prince and the great unclean one HQ choices? Allied contigents can only have one HQ choice, so unless both the prince and the great unclean one count as one HQ together, you'll need to change the list a bit.

The means he has of killing your troops will either be through large blasts, or the veterans. Assuming he'll put the veterans in the vendettas, he'll only have one veteran squad on the board the first turn. If you get first turn, you have two turns to take out large blast units and the one veteran squad before the cavalry arrives, and he'll hopefully be forced to commit his veterans into the fight (allowing you to kill them - once again: hopefully). Since 4 of 6 missions are based on multiple objectives, you often get an advantage if your troops live and his die, and vice versa.

Since the command squad is going to make your reserves enter later, his earlier, and will drop something like a battle cannon shot every turn, don't expect your reserves to enter when they want to, and his vendettas to come on turn 2.

The rhinos are important in the beginning to protect your troops from dying to blasts. They are important later to protect you from dying to veteran plasma drops. While most of his most powerful AT is off the board (his vendettas), your vindicators (and bikes) should try and do as much damage as possible. Remember that blasts always strike at full strength regardless where or how much of the blast touches a model/vehicle. This means that vindicators are great for clearing tight areas of units. It also means that his many large blasts can deal a lot of damage to you if you're grouped up.

The heavy stuff will probably shoot at the vindicators and bikes while the light should target your MCs or rhinos. Your dragon could try and vector strike his vendettas, it is one of the only things you have that is able to strike them. Regardless, the vendettas can shoot it down whenever they want to. The hydras/quad gun'll probably be busy grounding your flying prince or shooting your rhinos, unless they want to intercept your dragon. Since it is a bit difficult to kill, I would say your odds of taking hydra shots and not caring is better than the hydras downing the dragon.

Since you'll have trouble shooting down the vendettas, I'll guess that how much damage you can inflict before the vendettas start dismantling a single unit each turn will be critical. The problem is that if  he keeps his troops safe in the vendettas, he can start dropping them off on turn 4, 5, thus keeping his troops relatively safe while shooting down yours.

So not so much advice; you're facing a lot of large blasts, plasma and his troops can be kept relatively safe in vendettas. But for at least one turn, you will have a larger army on the board, to try and leverage the playing field. Finally, take my advice with a grain of salt, I don't know much about Chaos in general.

Hey thanks so much for the replies everyone very helpful information. Bystrom the Great Unclean One allows me to to take Nurgle Marked DP's as heavy support. Quick question any advise on what warlord table I should role on or does it really not make any difference. And are the Vendettas able to split up while in Squadron form? My buddy seems to be running them as a squadron but as three separate units? I figured they may have some special rule to separate or we read the rules wrong.

Thanks again

Brian

No that's wrong, a squadron can never split up and act independently unless it has special rules to permit this (Vendettas don't). Once you sort that out with him it should make your life considerably easier smile.png

His list is fairly "elite" as far as Guard goes, it's the points value that lets him take so many units but this could be his weakness. If you took a "quantity over quality" approach then you could overwhelm him with too many units as he'd be unable to stop them all properly. Even a few Marines are enough to take out a squad of Guardsmen or krak a tank. How many Daemon units do you have that?

It's generally how I prefer my armies anyway, spend enough points on upgrades to make the unit useful then move on and buy another but it works well. My Marines have won against many Guard armies in this way so I see no reason why Chaos shouldn't be able to do the same. It's often the humble Tactical Marine that carries the day - numerous and more than enough to take on almost every Guard unit at close range smile.png

Archived