High BS re-rolls and precision shots

Srochon

In a recent game my opponent fielded Brother-Captain Tycho. Late in the game he decided to use the captain's combi-melta, but rolled a 1 to hit. Since the good captain's BS is 6, he was then allowed a re-roll as per the rules, requiring a further a roll of 6 to score a hit. He rolled and got lucky; the die came up 6.

My question is this: does this count as a precision shot? The CRB says that re-rolls can count as precision shots, but it doesn't differentiate between re-rolls from, say, a twin-linked weapon, where the re-roll simply uses the firer's BS, and high-BS re-rolls where the firer requires a specific number or higher regardless of stats or modifiers. Likewise, a quick skim of the official FAQ shines no light on the subject.

Seeing as I myself am a Tau player and often use Advanced Targeting Systems and Markerlight BS boosts in combination, I'd like some clarification for future games.

You do not distinguish between the different sources of re-rolls. If you are allowed to re-roll for any reason then you simply follow the rules on page 5 which tell us that the second roll counts and the first is ignored.

Agreed. In this situation it counts as a precision shot. There is nothing to say otherwise. Also remember that for BS6+, not all misses are then hit on a 1. For BS7 or better it's a 5+ or better. In the situation of a BS5 model, consider whether a BS1 model would get Precision Hits or not, despite the fact that it can only hit on a 6. The answer is it would, so wouldn't the BS6 model get a precision hit if it hit on its re-roll?

A bit convulted, but some comparisons and examples for you there. :)

Also, welcome!

Thanks for the input and the warm welcome! I've lurked here a few times looking for answers to rules questions, and always saw polite and concise answers in the past, so I figured I'd make you guys my first stop for my own queries.

It does seem (more than)a bit wierd to me that a model with BS 1 would always get precision shots, but I suppose it's not the least confusing rule in the book. :p

I couldn't quite put my finger on why i was so convinced that the high-BS roll shouldn't count as a precision shot, but it struck me just now: My concern is that it may not technically count as a re-roll, but instead be an *additional* roll to determine whether the shot hits or misses. This will depend on the wording of the rules for high BS, but I seem to remember this being the case in previous editions(though I'm talking like, 3rd ed here so it's a bit murky). I'll look it up for myself when I get home.

I would compare it to the tesla weapon from necrons, firing snap shots can only hit on 6s, on 6s it generates 2 automatic hits, and they work. So I feel this is a hang up from previous editions (I get so many of those its getting annoying).

On closer inspection the rule books states specifically that the model 'gains a re-roll whenever it rolls a 1 to hit with ranged attacks,' so it would indeed be a precision shot. This cost me a valuable battlesuit last night, but in the long run I believe this rules quirk will work out in my favor far more often than my opponents'.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Archived