Deathwing Knight's, how good are they?

I just recently got a Dark Angels codex and have fallen in love with it. The problem is, i'm at an internship at Disney and a good thousand miles away from my models, so i've been unable to test out the brutal potential that our shadowy brother's possess? My real question is this, are the Deathwing Knights worth taking? I know they can do unholy things against chaos space marines but other then that, are they really worth taking?

Thought of the day: Repent, for tomorrow you die

Smite. Full attack profile, s10 ap 2 at initiative 4

Wall of shields. Base contact with two other inner circle members +1 toughness

These things make them pretty much awesome. If I'm not taking a pure rw list, they find a way in most of the time

Recently I've taken them in every game. And they have always proved invaluable to my army. They always seem to do the heavy lifting. So yeah, I would recommend always taking some of them.

I just recently got a Dark Angels codex and have fallen in love with it. The problem is, i'm at an internship at Disney and a good thousand miles away from my models, so i've been unable to test out the brutal potential that our shadowy brother's possess? My real question is this, are the Deathwing Knights worth taking? I know they can do unholy things against chaos space marines but other then that, are they really worth taking?

#1:

Internships are Disney seem really awesome.  Great job from what I hear, if you like working with people.  How much longer is your internship?  My family and I will be in Disney World over the Christmas Holiday.  

#2:

I think in a Deathwing List, they're less valuable.  For a similar price, I can get a squad of TH//SS models, and they're scoring.  They're a bit costly if your running an elite heavy list anyways.  In a mixed list, or a primarily Power Armor force, I think they can be a great solution to multiple problems - They're great for assuring that whatever your opponent has on the table, you can blow the crap out of it.

.2c

Paul

They aren't as good as Black Knights, because, after all, they are .....wait for it .....Knight Riders ..... sorry, couldn't resist - too much Hasslehof as a child ;)

There's a general feeling that DWK work very well with GW/RW, and Black Knights work well in DW lists :)

short answer: very, very good.

longer answer: I math hammered it, and, even not on the charge, they will beat TH/SS Termies every time. The AP2, S 10 SMITE attack is their saving grace considering their maces are AP4 normally, though the higher strength means they can inflict a lot of wounds regularly.

They only fall down against Power Armoured foes who are not CSM. Adding an Int-Chaplain and keeping them in base contact together means you don't waste the SMITE attack and you get T5 for the unit. Also, remember they are WS5 which means they hit Marines on a 3.

Recently I've taken them in every game. And they have always proved invaluable to my army. They always seem to do the heavy lifting. So yeah, I would recommend always taking some of them.

which hero would you recommend running them with? I was thinking Ezekiel since he has the book of salvation and as well as access to divination powers

longer answer: I math hammered it, and, even not on the charge, they will beat TH/SS Termies every time. The AP2, S 10 SMITE attack is their saving grace considering their maces are AP4 normally, though the higher strength means they can inflict a lot of wounds regularly.

They only fall down against Power Armoured foes who are not CSM. Adding an Int-Chaplain and keeping them in base contact together means you don't waste the SMITE attack and you get T5 for the unit. Also, remember they are WS5 which means they hit Marines on a 3.

Have you run them against tyranids? ( I figured they'd "fail" against other marines) They have so many monstrous creatures, that unless you get into combat with half the army of once, you might be able to kill only one or two MC's with their smite. Alternatively, would they be better for crowd control? Their high str and ws would be able to tear through the lower forms like paper

Black Knights also, of course, have feel no pain (2+) courtesy of Monty Python (it's just a flesh wound, etc and so on...)

Sorry.

*raises hand in blessing* I forgive you.

I was planning on running at LEAST one squad of Black Knights with my army at all times because their debuffs are just too good to pass up.

#1:

Internships are Disney seem really awesome.  Great job from what I hear, if you like working with people.  How much longer is your internship?  My family and I will be in Disney World over the Christmas Holiday.  

#2:

I think in a Deathwing List, they're less valuable.  For a similar price, I can get a squad of TH//SS models, and they're scoring.  They're a bit costly if your running an elite heavy list anyways.  In a mixed list, or a primarily Power Armor force, I think they can be a great solution to multiple problems - They're great for assuring that whatever your opponent has on the table, you can blow the crap out of it.

.2c

Paul

#1 I'm in Disneyland right now and it's great! I'm trying to get some contacts in with Disney innovations before the program ends in 3 months, then i'm back to Illinois to finish up college :D FINALLY BE ABLE TO PLAY WARHAMMER AGAIN!

#2 In an all deathwing list, i'm relying on my opponents to be deathly afraid of them and pour an unholy amount of fire into killing them. I'm most likely going to have them rolling in a Landraider to get them safely to the front lines but have a squad with belial deepstrike somewhere nearby to provide support or corral the enemy towards the knights.

Have you run them against tyranids? ( I figured they'd "fail" against other marines) They have so many monstrous creatures, that unless you get into combat with half the army of once, you might be able to kill only one or two MC's with their smite. Alternatively, would they be better for crowd control? Their high str and ws would be able to tear through the lower forms like paper

Haven't faced nids in a while (local meta is thin on nids) but I don't usually run any termies against them relying more on bolter power and heavy weapons to keep them at arms distance as best I can, although they are probably still effective as they can hit first and put out a high number of attacks, as well as using a Crusader to move around with a Chaplain.

Recently I've taken them in every game. And they have always proved invaluable to my army. They always seem to do the heavy lifting. So yeah, I would recommend always taking some of them.

which hero would you recommend running them with? I was thinking Ezekiel since he has the book of salvation and as well as access to divination powers

I hate to admit this, because I was a huge proponent of saying they aren't that good this edition, but I've fallen in love with running them with an Interrogator-Chaplain with Crozius Arcanum and Mace of Redemption. You lose your shooting attack, but who cares since the entire squad can't shoot. But you gain an off hand attack. He's a nasty little surprise in melee smile.png

On topic, though, DWK are fantastic.  At 4ppm more than naked scoring terminators, they have T5, I5 and stormshields.  Epically cheap at the price...and that assumes that they never smite.  The thing is, as long as you give them access to a crusader or a telehomer, you can virtually guarantee that the get their money's worth out of smite....and honestly....T5 is better than a thunderhammer.  So they're cheaper than thundernators AND better.  A normal thundernator squad will probably average less than three turns per game "stuck in," so being down to AP4 after one round of WRECKING FACE against anything in the game system is...not really that bad...you're still 2+/3++ and T5...you can literally stall out till the game ends, even against thundernators (since only 1-2 of a squad of 5 thundernators will survive your smite, even assuming no chappy support)

Thanks brothers! I have unassembled box of those little beasties and I was wondering how should I build them. Now, thanks to you, finally know. :) Maybe even I'll be able to squeeze them as my second ETL vow. 

Recently I've taken them in every game. And they have always proved invaluable to my army. They always seem to do the heavy lifting. So yeah, I would recommend always taking some of them.

which hero would you recommend running them with? I was thinking Ezekiel since he has the book of salvation and as well as access to divination powers

I hate to admit this, because I was a huge proponent of saying they aren't that good this edition, but I've fallen in love with running them with an Interrogator-Chaplain with Crozius Arcanum and Mace of Redemption. You lose your shooting attack, but who cares since the entire squad can't shoot. But you gain an off hand attack. He's a nasty little surprise in melee smile.png

Oh man, i can only imagine, the mace is pretty nasty ESPECIALLY in the hands of a int. chaplain; now if only we could give him lightning claws.......

isn't a prescience librarian in TDA better for DWK's?  re-roll to hits in all combat phases, can combine with perfidious relic (if you want) for a solid deny the witch, a whole chunk cheaper and can buff other units while waiting to get into combat.

isn't a prescience librarian in TDA better for DWK's?  re-roll to hits in all combat phases, can combine with perfidious relic (if you want) for a solid deny the witch, a whole chunk cheaper and can buff other units while waiting to get into combat.

You should be in a LandRaider until you get into combat. So, in that case, a Librarian would be wasted, plus the Int-Chap gets more attacks and wounds and has a better invulnerable save without purchasing.

Also, the interrogator's power Doesn't have a chance to kill him or get mind-blocked.

The Chaplain is made to be in CC with his extra wound and his power. the librarian is a general guy who runs around buffing stuff. 

On topic, though, DWK are fantastic.  At 4ppm more than naked scoring terminators, they have T5, I5 and stormshields.  Epically cheap at the price...and that assumes that they never smite.  The thing is, as long as you give them access to a crusader or a telehomer, you can virtually guarantee that the get their money's worth out of smite....and honestly....T5 is better than a thunderhammer.  So they're cheaper than thundernators AND better.  A normal thundernator squad will probably average less than three turns per game "stuck in," so being down to AP4 after one round of WRECKING FACE against anything in the game system is...not really that bad...you're still 2+/3++ and T5...you can literally stall out till the game ends, even against thundernators (since only 1-2 of a squad of 5 thundernators will survive your smite, even assuming no chappy support)

Oh...... errrrrr how..... promising.....? If you don't hear back from me after august 17th assume the worst D:

That my worry, after destroying something big and nasty (abbodon and a squad of chaos termies, swardlord, ect) how would they hold up against what left of the army assuming they have something roughly equivalent and your answer did get me thinking

No.  As others have mentioned, the libby's powers are wasted in the turns in which the unit is buttoned up inside a crusader, and then when you do get stuck in...let's think about this...you want a puny little nerd with his pocket protector and glasses (hey, I wear glasses!) stuck in against a target worthy of the attentions of a squad of knights??!?  They'll slaughter the poor slob.  Sorry, but if you need knights to kill it, you need an interrogator as the leader, not a hedge wizard. 

That my worry, after destroying something big and nasty (abbodon and a squad of chaos termies, swardlord, ect) how would they hold up against what left of the army assuming they have something roughly equivalent and your answer did get me thinking

Well, here's the thing...after your knights destroy, using your example, aby and company, what can the enemy possibly have left to throw at you?  Besides, if you expect a single unit that starts at 235 points to win the game singlehandedly, you're fooling yourself.  If they (and they will!) eliminate the enemy's hammer unit, they've done their job and more.  At that point, all they need do is survive, and they're heroes.  Let the rest of your army put the cards down and pick up a boltgun for a minute, eh?

What if you don't want to splash out on a Landraider? Bringing them down in a DWA means they have to take one round of fire, but hey, T5 and 2+/3++ right? Does it work out ok in people's experience?

Archived