Fluff/Coverstory for the Broken Sword?

Brother dean

I've been pondering this for a while.  Even though we of the Inner Circle can see that the broken sword in the Deathwing Symbol stands as a metaphor for our broken and divided Legion, What is the public story for the lower ranks and the Imperium at large for our most revered Company to have a variant chapter badge?

I'm betting it is either of two choices:

1:  Nobody notices or questions...

2:  It is a representation of the broken Lion Sword (which it is of course) and signifies our collective sorrow at the loss of our father.  Now the problem with this one is: "Then why doesnt the entire chapter have it?"...

Discuss/point out where I am wrong/missed a trick.

The first rule about the broken sword is, you don't talk about the broken sword.

I assume that the front story of it being The Lion's sword keeps 99.99999% of all the people sated.  The last .00001% are contained in Cell 42.

Paul

I doubt anybody questions it. The Blood Angels' first company badge is a skull rather than the one or two blood drops used by the rest of their chapter. Why? No particular reason that I can see.

Captain Gabriel, aka Broken Knife, featured in the Deathwing expansion for Space Hulk. I always assumed his name was just part of the native American styling of the characters, like Weasel Fierce, Cloud Runner, and Two-Heads Talking.

It's a badge of honor for being a member of the vaunted First Company, the only ones in the Chapter worthy enough to wear the symbol of the broken Lion's Sword.

It's not like "Till the Sword is Reforged!" isn't a Chapter-wide battle cry or anything...

The broken sword actually has no connection other than coincidence with the Lion Sword. Nor does it have anything to do with the schism within our chapter.

The story underlying the motifs on the Deathwing banner was released by GW themselves with the release of the DW Space Hulk expansion box.

The fallen angel with the broken sword represents Two Head Talking calling down the wrath of the Deathwing - the Emperor's steed - upon the genestealer-infested city. Thus the broken sword became the motif for our first company.

Cheers

I

Yeeees, but... the 4th edition 'it may be an allegory for Caliban' ret-con opens up other interpretations. Heck, what you just wrote Isiah could very well be the in-universe cover story that Brother Dean was asking for.

If the question was 'why did GW give the Deathwing a broken sword in their logo?' then I believe you're absolutely right.

Archived