Mephiston questions

teblin

How do Mephiston users compare him to Daemon Princes, Blood Thirsters and other MC [including the Riptide] ?

Mephiston will trump anything that is slower than himself (initiative) and has a save of 3+ or worse. Anything outside those boundaries will cause him some problems. Especially 2+ saves.

Mephiston will lose to most Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons unfortunately. They usually have better ini and ignore 2+ saves. And the Bloodthirster and Skarrbrand cause Instant Death

Yes and no. I've used him almost exclusively against daemon armies so far, and he's killed Nurgle GUO's and daemons princes (the only ones he had problems with were seriously kitted out with goodies, and he still killed them but they punished him in return), Tzeentch are no problem either. However as you say avoid Khorne MCs... a regular Bloodthirster took Mephy out very very easily and quickly. 

As above the key is either using him as a terror distraction unit, or as part of a combined arms collection of units with a priest in there. My other tactic has been to simply put him flat up against the back of a Baal and advance across the board 12" at a time until I'm in charge range and pop out.

I think the key point is not to just waste him against chaff units. Have a plan what he will be used for and don't just bog him down with grunts in close combat for two turns.

I dont want to steal a topic, but I would like to ask, assuming you have enough troops deployed, can Meph start inside SR in reserves???

~BT

Yeah, nothing stopping it. 50% of your units that don't have to start off-table (i.e. storm raven, drop pod) can be put into reserve. Meph is a unit, therefore he takes up one of those slots, but you can certainly choose to do so.

I dont want to steal a topic, but I would like to ask, assuming you have enough troops deployed, can Meph start inside SR in reserves???

~BT

Yeah, nothing stopping it. 50% of your units that don't have to start off-table (i.e. storm raven, drop pod) can be put into reserve. Meph is a unit, therefore he takes up one of those slots, but you can certainly choose to do so.

Actually, anything deployed in a Raven (or anything else that must reserve, like a Drop Pod) doesn't count for or against that 50% limit.  So if the list was

* Meph

* 2x ASM, Drop Pods

* 1x ASM, JP

* Raven

you could load Meph in the Raven, the 2x ASM into their drop pods, and since there'd be 1 unit left, and 50% rounded down is 0 (the minimum you must deploy), you could reserve the last ASM squad.  Just remember that if you have nothing on the board at the end of a game turn, you lose.

Its in the BRB FAQ on the GW site (last page, left-column, bottom)

Q: Do units that are transported in a vehicle that MUST start in
reserve count towards the number of units that can be placed in
Reserves? For example, must I count the units in a Drop Pod or
Valkyrie towards the 50% of units I can place in Reserves? (p124)
A: No.

Valks, like Ravens, aren't DTs.

Archived