Librarian Powers for Ravenwing

MolonLabe

I would like to get other player's ideas concerning what powers they roll for or try to get in a pure Ravenwing list or at least a libby on bike.  I typically roll on Divination or Telekinesis depending upon whether I plan to outflank.  Anyone else use a different psychic tree or know of a spell that is ideal for this type of list?

I've been using telepathy or telekenisis (can't remember which one) with my  libby.  Psychic scream is pretty good and hallucination can be neat, I got those today in a game.  Almost everything is twin linked so generally I won't go divination like I would in other DA armies.  But divination can be good with prescience since you can reroll all hits if you are planning on getting heavily into mele.

I'm trying not to rely on divination so much, so I've been trying telepathy. Its been fun. Dominating some Crisis Suits and them failing one of their jumps was kind of funny to watch.

I have yet to wrench myself from the divination powers. Prescience may not be that amazing on the bikes thanks to all the twin-linked weapons but an attack squadron can like it for their melta guns when taking down a tank and a support squadron of speeders lover it. (I have field 4 speeders in a single squadron a few times wth 3 assault cannons, 4 heavy bolters and a typhoon. The result was glorious whilst they remained at strength.)

All bar scrier's gaze are generally very good for Ravenwing. Counter-attack and full BS overwatch is utterly deadly on Black knights or a command squad, A librarian rerolling everything can take a lot of punishment before he falls (and take out quite a lot too!), ignoring cover is amazingly potent and a full 4+ invulnerable save for a unit is extremely valuable in case you come up against opponent with firepower that ignores cover. Lastly my favourite power from the list, misfortune as forcing your opponent to reroll their saves turns your firepower from ok to utterly deadly.

I can see the benefit of the other disciplines but have not yet managed to give them table time. (Invisible bikes would be amazing but I just don't believe I would roll it that often.)

I like Scrier's Gaze a lot, as I usually have at least two attack bikes and one or two melta squads outflanking when playing Ravenwing. It isn't useless for the bikes I have on the table, either; I'm usually driving through forests and ponds in every game, so three chances for a beneficial effect is just gravy. And if I don't get Scrier's Gaze, it means I got something better from Divination :)

I tried Psychic Scream once with a bike-libby. Rolled snake-eyes on my first test, managed to hit a Riptide, but rolled 6 or 7 for the power. Next turn I roll snake-eyes again, and manage to miss the Riptide altogether with my BS4. And the librarian was my warlord...

I read an interesting article a while ago about Psychic powers and 6th Ed. Essentially the gist was that there are 3 types of powers: Buffs, Debuffs and Damage. Buffs work better than the rest because you just have to make your psychic power roll. Debuffs work less often than Buffs because your opponent gets a Deny the Witch roll. Damage work the fewest amount of times as not only is there a Deny the Witch, but also you have to hit the target and there may be armour saves etc to roll. So, ultimately, when choosing psychic disiplines one should look for the ones with the most buffs and the fewest damage powers......

Entire article here

Archived