Quick Ravenwing Questions

captain sox

Hi Folks!

I didn't consider adding any bikes to my army, and all of a sudden I felt a compulsion to buy some. So I have the RW Battle Force Box.

So my questions are:

1. Can you add the Attack bike with less than 6 bikers? The way I read it in the Codex is you can... but I just want to make sure.

2. Am I correct in understanding that you can Combat Squad the Attack Bike from the other Bikers? So in a sense, you can have 2 - 3 Man Bike Squads with an Attack Bike each and it's just 2 FA units?

3. The Land Speeder is only available when you take 6 Bikes. Does it Deploy with the Attack Bike or can it Deploy on its own too?

4. What's the best loadout for RAS Squads? Melta? Plasma?

Any other RW tidbits and tricks can you help me out with? I have ZERO experience with bikes...

Thanks!

1. Can you add the Attack bike with less than 6 bikers? The way I read it in the Codex is you can... but I just want to make sure.

Yes you can as per p.101 of Codex: Dark Angels.

2. Am I correct in understanding that you can Combat Squad the Attack Bike from the other Bikers? So in a sense, you can have 2 - 3 Man Bike Squads with an Attack Bike each and it's just 2 FA units?

As per p.47 of Codex: Dark Angels, the Attack Bike and Land Speeder in a Ravenwing Attack Squadron are purshased with the squad but will from then on be considered as completely independant units of 1 model.

3. The Land Speeder is only available when you take 6 Bikes. Does it Deploy with the Attack Bike or can it Deploy on its own too?

Again, refer to page 47 and page 101.  Yes you need 6 Bikes for the Land Speeder and it will deploy on it's own since it's treated as an independant unit of 1 model. It can't deploy with the Attack Bike.

4. What's the best loadout for RAS Squads? Melta? Plasma?

I can't help you on that one, I lack game experience but I'm sure someone else will be able to help!

The killer bikes are of course black knights. They have twin-linked plasma, 5 atks on the charge (HOW and 4 s5 rending). However, they can't score and they would bounce off any AV 14 land raiders. Your RAS bikers can score with Sammael and with Melta perform an anti-armor role.

In a pure RW the RAS is your anti-armor and you can spread that across bikes, atk bikes or speeders. One last thought in this regard, as I have discovered in recent games, Melta s are a great way to kill units in fortifications by attacking the "building" instead of shooting the troops on top or inside.

It also means they're the correct* height alongside infantry.

*That's aesthetically correct, nothing to do with rules.

Base. The plastic models balance "okay" but if you run across some of the metal torsos, they tend to tip over.

Ahem. The Ravenwing never "tip over". They're just leaning into the turn. wink.png

Base. The plastic models balance "okay" but if you run across some of the metal torsos, they tend to tip over.

Ahem. The Ravenwing never "tip over". They're just leaning into the turn. wink.png

:p Tell that to my Melta gunner who thinks it's cool to drag the barrel of his weapon through the mud...

:p Tell that to my Melta gunner who thinks it's cool to drag the barrel of his weapon through the mud...

He obviously loves the smell of cooked mud in the morning...

Archived