Does Corbulo give a 4+ FNP?

Klazien

Tks for all the replies , didnt think anybody used a 4+ FNP just because of the second sentence of the Red grail "any FNP roll taken for Corbulo himself is passed on a 2+, rather than a 4+."

Also I like the ideal of the chapters high priest leading the DC to there final fight, not to mention he can take more damage than most anything in the game.

Is the current Corbulo model a 2nd edition or 3rd edition model? I am wondering if the model stands shorter than a normal Assault Marine like the Saiguinary Priest model does.

2nd Ed, just like Mephiston, Dante, and Tycho. Just made me realise I've been using those models for nearly 20 years lol.

I'm making a list at 1000 points and a bit stuck SP-wise. I can afford a Sang Priest w/ JP, or Corbulo. My force's main power comes from 10x ASM, 5x Sternguard and a Devastator Squad, as well as Mephiston.

I wanted to stick a JP on a Priest so he can stick with the ASMs, but then Corbulo can't take a JP (but he is a lot better).

Wat do?

Barebones priest with JP.

I kinda disagree.  In that list most of your offensive output is coming from the Devs (armed with MLs?), Sternguard, and Mephiston.  Corbs' 2+ FNP does a much better job of protecting the Sternies/Devs than a Jumpy Priest, and at 1k pts Mephiston isn't going to face all that much that really worries him.  I'd personally say that Corbs' bonus FNP, extra wound, and reroll are worth more than a bit of mobility for your FNP bubble.

It will be against Tau btw.

I was thinking of sticking Corbulo in the Sternguard squad and being aggressive with the unit, using Corb to sponge and once I'm close using combi-melta and plasma to do some damage.

Yes, the Devs are 4x ML. The Stern are 2x Com-Plas and 1x Com-Melta.

Mephiston and the Jump infantry will be in where the fighting is thickest. they will need feel no pain far more than a squad you can stick int he backfield in cover.

Depends on the mission, opponent, and your playstyle I suppose.  Sternguard, especially just five of them, don't really have the range to sit back with the devs and take potshots: they really should be pushing up the board with the rest of the army, where they'll be in the thick of it just the same as the Jump Marines or Mephiston.

Against Tau I'd say its a toss-up.  Corbs will tank virtually all of the non-railgun shots by himself, and his S5 chainsword wounds basically any non-suit Tau model on a 2+.  On the other hand, getting into their lines is important, as Tau tend to fold in CC (if you can get there), so the additional mobility might be nice.  I guess it depends on the list you want to run.

@Teblin: On a side note, I'd definitely look into getting a Lascannon or two for your dev squad.  The signum can make it hit on 2+, and that AP2 is really handy a lot of the time.  Broadsides and Riptides are nasty to face if you're relying on them failing a 2+ to die.

If you drop the sternguard in a pod, i would go with corbulo, and let him join there.. I doubt i would use corbulo to sit back in the deployment zone.!  He's most usefull when he gets to see some action, both tanking and spanking!

Archived