Contemptor Dreadnoughts

roninmodern

Once they started allowing Forgeworld models in major tournaments, most of the places I have played use those rules in the various Imperial Armor books.  So to answer your question, Contemptors are used by their statline in IA for us.

I use my contemptor-mortis with the Imperial Armour rules. Two Kheres assault cannon and a cyclone missile launcher. It packs a phenomenal amount of firepower at BS5 and attracts a small amount of griping due how resilient it is.

I occassionally consider using the standard contemptor but until I obtain some of the more interesting weapon arms I just don't see the value of a power fist/heavy flamer in place of the second Kheres.

Locally the tourneys mostly allow FW - we use them for what they are.  

The Mortis Dread is the only "pure" Deathwing option available for AA, and A CC kitted Contemptor in a Lucius Pattern Drop-Pod is a nasty sight though.

Paul

The two places I play at, one alot more than the other, have different feelings about this. The one I tend to play at less, is more welcoming to them. However the other place is pretty close minded about FW stuff. I'd like to play at the other place more, but due to family situations I tend to play at the latter.

Chances are that the Wraithknight will Strike First, with Str 8+, so it has a good chance to Hull Point or Penetrate the Contemptor to death, but if it's only Str 6, then I'll bet that with Dual CCW the Contemptor may be able to rip it apart.  

We'll see what happens with it's stat-line.

best,

Paul

Oh pssshhh you know how a contemptor goes toe to toe with a wraith knight? 24 inches with dual kheres assault cannons and a cyclone that's how!

Thats how I'd do it. Maybe with a Techmarine behind him with a PFG just to spite the Wraith

I have two: one with Kheres AC and a plasma blaster CCW arm; the other a Mortis with TL lascannons and a Cyclone.

Both perform well when deployed, but they're costly beasts.

Three typhoons with MM, 9 shots, 6 hits, 5 wounds, AP2and 3 means no save = almost dead Wraithknight, it is cool but as the rumours stand easily beatable. Of course the Typhoons die next Eldar turn so the sacrifice needs to be worth it.

OT: IA rulz !!!

I use them in two ways.

Using them as is with IA rules.

Combining the bitz from Contemptor, Normal and Dreadknight to make awesome conversions.

I have many many plans... mwhahahaaa *coughs* ahem.

I've just tested it against IG (Morris kheres/CML) and I was very impressed by the number of shots this beast can absorb. I wasn't very lucky with my pen hits as I only obtained one 6 in two phases of shooting.

But every shooting phase made my opponent sweat because 12 rending shoots at BS 5 is something you can't negate. It maintained his attention focused on this wing while my bikes and my termis took this other side.

My opponent feared it as much as this combined force!

He finally died on an ordnance shoot but gave me enough time to finally win the game.

Page? Because I'm not seeing it in mine. Unless there's a new version of Apocalypse II (Apocalypse II 2?)...

Also, none of those are 40k approved. Though I'm sure a bunch of them are 40k approved elsewhere...

Not apocalypse II, apocalypse second edition. Yeah, it's confusing.

It doesn't appear to be in print anymore....I had to get the rules via...other...means.

Both the Standard Contemptor and the Mortis Contemptor are in IA: Apocalypse Second Edition - Product Code 600040187019

24-25 for the "standard" contemptor (The one the DAs get)  BA and SW have their own rules for theirs

28 for the Mortis

IA: Aeronautica (Product Code 60040187021) has the same model on Page 38 - but it doesn't contain a Plasma Cannon option.  

Best,

Paul

Both the Standard Contemptor and the Mortis Contemptor are in IA: Apocalypse Second Edition - Product Code 600040187019

24-25 for the "standard" contemptor (The one the DAs get)  BA and SW have their own rules for theirs

28 for the Mortis

IA: Aeronautica (Product Code 60040187021) has the same model on Page 38 - but it doesn't contain a Plasma Cannon option.  

Best,

Paul

Think I can explain why the plasma cannon option is missing there; blasts can't hit flyers.

I understand that Oni, but it still should be listed, as it's a legal model option.  

Luckily I own both books, I just wanted to be sure that the facts were straight in the thread.  

Paul

Archived