What's the best load-out for a Storm Raven?

Ishagu

I play C:SM and I want to keep it cheap so don't fancy the hurricane bolters.. I fear the helldrake and dont think my Talon would be up to the job...

Im thinking Plasma Canons, Meltas.

Or should I just take the LasCannon, Meltas?

Thanks Amigos!

The Cyclone MIssle Launcher is almost a mandatory piece of equipment. Beyond that, it's up to taste and what would best compliment your army.

Face a lot of PA armies? Plasma

Lots of light mech, horde, or tide armies? Aslt. Cn.

I think the best loadout on the Storm Raven for hunting other air is the Twin-Linked Meltagun and Tiwn-Linked Lascannon. With your high moment you will very likely be getting the Melta bonus.  

Honestly, both definitions are pretty accurate nowadays, lol (bodies and the damn tau Battlemech)

I've become a huge fan of Aslt. Cn. during this edition. The return of green tides, dominance of Flyers, appearance of more and more Mon. Creatures (tau, and now stupid Eldar), and continued annoyance of parking lots (aka Chimera hordes) have made it the weapon of choice for me. High strength, volume of shots, and potential for rending makes it a nasty weapon, no matter the game played, or whom against.

I shy away from plasma cannon myself, though this is a matter of personal taste as plasma weapons on vehicles can overheat now, which was not the case in 5th Edition - take a Hull Point when they do and my plasma luck is horrendous!pinch.gif

I love the multimelta and use either the lascannon or assault cannon for the other gun.  I never use plasma since it can't shoot other flyers.

My standard Raven has twin-linked multi melta, twin-linked assault cannons, hurricane bolters, and the included 4 blood strikes (not sure what marines have in replacement).  Imo, this setup provides the best utility to put the hurt of any threat your opponent can provide.  I think the assault cannon is the superior choice over the lascannon and plasma cannon because it can potentially damage almost anything with more twin-linked and rending shots.

The greatest  aspect of the Raven is its ability to target two units in a single round of shooting via Power of the Machine Spirit.  Against multiple fliers I target one with the TLMM and the other with the TLAssC and a blood strike or two.  Against ground targets I hit a vehicle with the TLMM and infantry with the HBs and TLAssC.

As I said I'll be facing a helldrake. If anyone has had experience against them does the assault cannon really perform better than the TL lascannons?

I like the idea of a the assault cannons as they perform better against infantry but the drake is my main focus of the Raven offence...

depends on if you are going for hull points or destroyed results.

The Las Cannon is more likely to get a destroyed result.  The assault cannon is more likely to remove hull points. 

The twin linked Multimelta is a definite pick though.  So much better than any other nose gun options.  For destroyed results it is three times better than one shot of the missile launcher per pen.  If you are in melta range it is more likely to get the pen, and it is twin linked.  One shot of that is better than two missiles easily.

I like las cannon paired with the multi melta since they are both going for destruction results.  Better to stack my odds.  But there is a lot to be said for the assault cannon.  Especially if you are packing hurricane bolters since the assault cannon is also good for targeting infantry. 

Tough choices. I think I'll stick with the lascannon. Heck even if it doesnt blow the heldrake up it will stick knock its HPs down.

Also, as someone on this forum pointed out there are some very tough enemies cropping up. Riptides, Wraith Lords... the lascannon will be ever more useful.

Are the stormbolters worth the 30 points?

With regards to TL Lascannon vs TL Assault Cannon, you don't have to commit to one or the other.  Try both in game and see which one you prefer before slapping one or the other permanently on your model.  Or if you're feeling adventurous you could magnetize your weapon options.  Definitely keep the TL Multimelta for swatting enemy fliers.  Hurricane bolters in your case are optional especially at 1000 points, but I find them useful in my "vs. all comers" type lists.

Also in your case the TLLC may be the better option, but you may find later on if you wish to switch to "all comers" where the TLAssC is the more effective choice, imho.

EDIT: The Raven performs marvelously in 1k games, often catching an opponent with their pants down.  Go for it!  But be wary, Murphy's law can and will leave your Raven out of the game on turn 2 if you're unlucky.  Be aware of the possibility of 1/5 of your list to be out of the game until turn 3.

I would have to throw in the opinion that Hurricane Bolters are totally worth 30 points. It's 12 re-rolling shots when you get into rapid fire range (something that is very easy to do). I would also recommend the Assault Cannon, but I can understand the choice to take the Lascannon if you are primarily worried about Helldrakes or other armored type targets. Personally, I generally feel like the Stormstrike missile and the TL-MM are sufficient in the dedicated anti-armor and like to take my chances (roll the dice, you might say) with the TL-AC to try for rends.

Keep in mind....You are bound to end up in a position where your best target, or most threatening target, turns out to be an infantry or fast attack type unit. In that situation you will thank the Emperor that you have Hurricane Bolters and an Assault Cannon to put a big stack of wounds onto the target.

For 30 more points, on a 200pt unit, you can give yourself a pretty good bump in versatility and potential damage output.

Thanks for the input. I will be including the hurricane bolters for sure.

Im still not decided on the TL LC v AC but I'll give each a try in upcoming games. I can see the Assault Cannons being more useful in the longer run....

Archived