Ravenwing's answer to Nurgle

Tiger9gamer

Alright, o they are a couple of nurgle players at my local GW, and I never beaten them yet X-X so how does the ravenwing fight them? like, what works what doesn't?

massed dakka can work, but it's hard getting through the armor :/ even with Devastation.

Do you mean demons or chaos marines? I either case I assume your problem is high toughness, so all I can suggest is rad grenades, plasma and keep pouring on the firepower.

Black Knights are your solution : the maximum playable...

I agree with Cactus : Rad Grenades and plasma profusely in addition with Dakka Standard and Librarion with Divination !

Your problem is the hight toughness (6 for Nurgle's Biker, 5 for Marines).

The black knights with grenade launchers bring plague marines down to normal marine status, they lose a point of due to rad grenades, standard of fortitude will even the FNP playing field.

I would. Hammer of wrath hits, and S5 rending hammers will knock a load down and you don't have to worry about being tar-pitted, as you can just hit and run ready for another charge.

Heldrakes and Demon princes can be a pest, but most other units shouldn't pose much threat if you play your cards right. Use your mobility to stay out of 24" range of the main force. Overload a flank. Remember that bikes are fast enought to grab objectives late game so no point in rushing head long into anything. Focus on staying alive (darkshroud is your friend here). Use the standard of devestation to pick off a few units at a time. I can also recommend outflanking landspeeder and attack bikes to pick off tanks and other tough/hard to reach units. Good luck!

@John_f : i just don't get you advice, how can we  stay ouf of 24' Range with BK whom range is 12-18 (Grenade/Plas) ?

Do you mean get a flank, focus fire on 1 unit, while keeping the maximum distance between the rest of main force ?

@John_f : i just don't get you advice, how can we stay ouf of 24' Range with BK whom range is 12-18 (Grenade/Plas) ?

Do you mean get a flank, focus fire on 1 unit, while keeping the maximum distance between the rest of main force ?

Well, I try to maximise the effect of the BoD so I don't bother much with Black Knights. But I guess the concept can work at a shorter range too. My point is; just don't roll up the middle, especially not with your scout move. Earlier, I was very careless with my bikes thinking T5 and jinx would take them far, but they are still only marines and will die to every third wound generated so you have to pick your fights carefully. Also, I'm not saying that my advice is great for every situation or every type of player. I'm just reflecting on the misstakes I used to make smile.png

My group has a lot of people playing Nurgle as well, and I turned to Black Knights to deal with them.  We are in the midst of an escalation league so our battles are small, only 1k now.  Since I have started running Black Knights I can proudly say I haven't lost a game to chaos yet while using them.  Due to the points I'm only running mine with 6 bikers, along with an interrogator chaplain with Auspex, Digital Weapon, and Mace or Redemption.  The rest of my army is pretty standard though, two 10 man Tactical squads with plasma guns, and cannons.  Along with a Predator and a Librarian for presience, and to give another squad preferred enemy.  This equals a pretty nasty combo, two units rerolling all failed to hits, and one unit rerolling all 1's.

Like previously stated be careful with the bikes, even though they are toughness 5 they are still normal marine armor saves, so they can go down easy.  During your shooting phase always open with your Black Knights grenade launcher with the Rade Shell.  One hit from this will reduce the whole units toughness bringing them back down to normal marines.  This allows the rest of your army to shoot at that unit hitting on 4's, instead of 5's.

So, I played a game against nurgle again, and I had to rage quit at the last turn (mostly due to low blood sugar) and I just hate the entire army...

I don't have black knights, so I played this list:

Sammuel

Librarian lvl 2 with power generator

Command squad with BoD, champion

6 man bike squad with x2 melta guns, attack bike w/ MM

6 man bike squad with x2 flamers, attack bike w/ MM

9 man tactical squad w/ plasma cannon

9 man tactical squad w/ missile launcher

9 man tactical squad w/ missile launcher

Regular Mortis dread w/ x2 autocannons

x2 typhoon speeders

aegis defense line

All the tacts, mortis and libby huddled in the corner behind the line, the bikes huddled around the land raider, and the speeders sat around

His army

Typhus

x3 plague marines in rhinos with x2 plasma guns

plague marine squad in land raider w/ typhus

a squad of oblitherators

x2 heldrakes...

I was doing well during the first turn, but he pretty much destroyed me when those heldrakes came on. He torched one bike squad, then the other 

final turn he camped on my objective with typhus and the 7 man plague marine squad, and after an entire turn and en entire army shooting at them I only killed one marine. 

how is it 72 bolter shots can only one marine, when his heldrakes can kill everything.

My thoughts on it

Find the points for a Nephilim Jetfighter. It may not be the best dogfighter in the game but with a Twin-Linked Lascannon you have a fair chance of taking down a Heldrake.

Take a Power Field Generator with your Chaplain and sit him smack in the middle of your Black Knights. That way, his Generator will give all of your Knights a 4+ Invulnerable save.

Ride under his Heldrakes. They're still Flyers so they have limited maneuverability, making it harder for them to get that shot on you.

Everything that shortysl said. The sad part is the RW is especially vulnerable to heldrakes. Both your jink and armor saves are worthless against it. Only defense I can think of is the pFG which shortysl already stated. 

Honestly, his list is pretty hard to beat using pure RW (Trying not to say 'cheesy' but....). If you can, ask if you are allowed FW? Perhaps proxy in a contemptor mortis dread with dual kheres assault/autocannons. That will ruin his day. Alternatively invest in an aegis def line with scouts? If his heldrake goes after the quad gun he'll turn his rear armor to face your black knights and you'll have a better chance at taking him down then.

The Nephilim is a bit meh and way overcosted for what it does, but it's better then nothing. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes? 

All the best!

I tried the above list before (okay, 1/3rd ravenwing) and that didn't work out too well. I was already using the Mortis (regular chasis) dread with autocannons, but that did Jack and :cuss when he hid them behind a building.

and his baleflamers have 360 degrees around the base based on being a turret X-X

If you're using the Mortis pattern dread from IA vol 2, the 165 point BS4 regular rifleman dread, it's not really going to do much,

The Contemptor Mortis dread from IA apocalypse second edition is more expensive and does way more things. It comes with skyfire and interceptor, BS5, etc.

That dread will shoot down flyers the turn they come in no problem. 

But if you meant the contemptor mortis dread and not the rifleman dread, then I apologize for the confusion. :(

Archived