Representing Obliterators.

I don't really like the Obliterator models, but I wanted to include some. I'm thinking of expanding my Thousand Sons, and I'm quite taken by a few Dark Mechanicum allies (cultists, a converted Warpsmith, and some Obliterator counts as). My question is would the Mechanicum Thallax cohort from Forge World be acceptable to use? http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/MECHANICUM_THALLAX_COHORT.html

They're really cool models (in my opinion), but I'm thinking I might need to convert the weapons to better represent Obliterator weaponry. Plus add some chaos related bits to stop them looking too loyalist.

I recon they'd make great Obliterators, especially with a little conversion work. You could go the 'Obliterator-virus' route and green stuff some stretched and warped skin as seen on the GW minis or just 'chaos' them up a bit. Dark Eldar talos bits would work really nicely and give them a Dark Mechanicus feel.

I would probably "chaos them up" a bit, it is the dark mechanicum after all. But other than that, sure, why not? Go for it, they are awesome models so...

I saw them, and the idea just kinda clicked. Obviously, I'd chaos them up, they're too loyalist as they stand- I'd probably modify the guns as well, so there's no confusion with lightning guns etc.

Edit: I just wanted to gauge how the wider community might take them as oblits.

I think it will work perfectly. Not like there are a lot of units to confuse them with. Just add as much weaponry to them as possible, representing all Obliterator weapons, including Power Fist. Especially now, when 40k becomes more and more childish, there is no mention of Virus any more in Obliterators entry, so you do not need fusion of flash and armour, it's enough to represent heavy cyborg with number of weapons.

I think it will work perfectly. Not like there are a lot of units to confuse them with. Just add as much weaponry to them as possible, representing all Obliterator weapons, including Power Fist. Especially now, when 40k becomes more and more childish, there is no mention of Virus any more in Obliterators entry, so you do not need fusion of flash and armour, it's enough to represent heavy cyborg with number of weapons.

There are three mentions of technovirus in my 6th ed C:CSM

They are a rare enough model that's its fairly easy to point at them and say "the FW Cyborg guys are my Oblits".

Only thing I'd check is the size difference between models as the Cyborgs look smaller.

I don't really like the Obliterator models

Literally no one does. GW's decision to make the new mutilators in finecast instead of redoing oblits into one of those two-units-one-box plastic kits they're so fond of these days is frankly bewildering. It would've sold like hotcakes.

As for using thallax cohorts as oblits, it's not a bad idea. They're slightly less bulky, which is about the only complaint I can see, but that shouldn't matter very much.

Literally no one does. GW's decision to make the new mutilators in finecast instead of redoing oblits into one of those two-units-one-box plastic kits they're so fond of these days is frankly bewildering. It would've sold like hotcakes.

As for using thallax cohorts as oblits, it's not a bad idea. They're slightly less bulky, which is about the only complaint I can see, but that shouldn't matter very much.

I actually still do like them...

But then, I like the prior incarnation also.

I like that they're identifiable as having been Space Marines, but the models are a little clunky for me now...

I have a soft spot for the Obliterator model ever since my brother used one to represent a big ogre-cyborg mutant in a D20 Apocalypse game once and I killed it with a sword. ^^; That said, the melta-pinkie is a bit silly. More Orkish than chaos really.

Thallaxi would make awesome Dark Mechanicum obliterators though. I love them. :) Gonna pick some up for sure at that mythical time when I get paid enough to cover my expenses and take an extra £200-odd to Forge World, heh.

I like that they're identifiable as having been Space Marines, but the models are a little clunky for me now...

Admittedly, compared to a lot of newer sculpts - I can agree. I don't understand why they didn't do the multipart kit with the Mutilators, who I think are stylistically worse than the Oblits anyway.

Archived