Vanguard Sgt. Duallist

corlinjewell

This idea was springboarded from Captain Idaho's thread on Duallist Captains.  My question was if it was worth taking a axe/sword combo on a model that only has a 3+ save?  Would it be better to run him with an axe and a storm shield?  Also, I know that Vanguard Vets are overpriced, so I'm not asking if they should be used (I know the answer is no).  Rather, I want to know which loadout on the Sgt. is more useful (they both cost the same points).

This guy would be for dueling other sergeants, right? If you want to only spend 15 points on an upgrade, I think a pair of lightning claws would be best. It has the greatest chance of killing a marine sergeant of all the weapons upgrades available, and it strikes at initiative. Sure there is no AP2, but who would you choose to duel like that? If AP2 is a real big issue, then you could pay another 10 points and do a lightning claw and power fist, but if two lightning claws aren't enough, your sergeant is going to die anyway. A power axe and storm shield might sound like a good idea, but striking at I4 is very important, and as a sergeant, his attacks are already very limited, so reducing his attacks by one isn't helping much either.

Archived