"Cervan" Dante... did I miss something?

TheFlayedMan

Can anyone tell me where / when we found out our Lord Commander's first name????

Seriously never seen it anywhere before then all the sudden someone added this really weird name to Dante's 40k wikia page

Can anyone back this up with a cannon reference please????

Whats next "Frank" Corbulo?

The most likely place we'd find something like that would be the novels, but he's never mentioned as Cervan Dante in those that I can recall. Only when he's in chamber with Mephiston would the name likely come up and it's not mentioned. My guess is that, like said before, someone just edited the wiki.

All non-primarch space marines have a last name. Marneus Calgar, Logan Grimnar, Pedro Kantor, Vulkan'Estan, etc.

Except Blood Angels, who only ever have first names?

-Mephiston

-Tycho (Edit: wait, this is actually his last name: Erasmus Tycho... weird... Okay, so there is one BA character with a last name)

-Dante

-Corbulo

-Lemartes?

-Astorath

You cited 4 chapter masters.  Do we have evidence of any marine other than a chapter master having a last name?  (Which begs the question why Dante doesn't seem to have one)

Edit: amusingly, chapters with Blood Angels gene seed also seem to have a lack of last names:

Castellan Zargo - Angels Encarmine (Castellan is a title)

Sentikan - Angels Sanguine

Orloc - Blood Drinkers

Armis - Blood Legion

Lord Daggan - Blood Swords (Lord is a title)

Flesh Tearers seem to be the only exception I can find.

All non-primarch space marines have a last name. Marneus Calgar, Logan Grimnar, Pedro Kantor, Vulkan'Estan, etc.

Except Blood Angels, who only ever have first names?

-Mephiston

-Tycho

-Dante

-Corbulo

-Lemartes?

-Astorath

You cited 4 chapter masters.  Do we have evidence of any marine other than a chapter master having a last name?  (Which begs the question why Dante doesn't seem to have one)

All Space wolves characters I can think of have two names. 

Edit: amusingly, chapters with Blood Angels gene seed also seem to have a lack of last names

Antaro Chronus.

Varro Tigurius.

Cato Sicarius.

Ortan Cassius.

Torias Telion.

Uriel Ventris (do novels count?)

Kor'sarro Khan (though you could make the case for 'Khan' being an honorific).

Kayvaan Shrike.

Darnath Lysander.

As you mentioned, Gabriel Seth and Erasmus Tycho are the exceptions for the Sanguinian line.

Kaldor Draigo, Garran Crowe, Anval Thawn, if you want to include Grey Knights.

If you go by the Codex, the Dark Angels only have one name each (and it's a name assigned by the Chapter).

I can't remember how the Blood Angels get their names, but I think they get them assigned by the Chapter, so maybe a lot of them don't have last names.

Some marines (interestingly including Dark Angels - ref 'Deathwing') are given a new 'Imperial' name when they become a marine.

If Tycho has 2 names it follows that all/most (some may only have ever had 1 name before becoming a marine) marines will have 2 names (Tycho must have had 2 names while he was a mere grunt after all). Its not that they dont have last names - its that we only hear/see the last names (not the first names - you wouldnt formally address a Chapter Master by his first name, would you?).

Some marines (interestingly including Dark Angels - ref 'Deathwing') are given a new 'Imperial' name when they become a marine.

If Tycho has 2 names it follows that all/most (some may only have ever had 1 name before becoming a marine) marines will have 2 names (Tycho must have had 2 names while he was a mere grunt after all). Its not that they dont have last names - its that we only hear/see the last names (not the first names - you wouldnt formally address a Chapter Master by his first name, would you?).

That's like saying 'you wouldn't address the queen of england by her first name, would you?'  Yes you would.  You'd only address her by her first name.  Edit: You'd also use her title and possibly her style, but you'd never even mention her last name.  I doubt most people even know what it is.

And Dante is clearly a first name, as are most of the other names we have for BA characters.  (Only Lemartes isn't clear, but "Lemartes, Guardian of the Lost" makes it sound like a first name, since you typically use a style with a given name).

That's like saying 'you wouldn't address the queen of england by her first name, would you?'  Yes you would.  You'd only address her by her first name.  Edit: You'd also use her title and possibly her style, but you'd never even mention her last name.  I doubt most people even know what it is.

And Dante is clearly a first name, as are most of the other names we have for BA characters.  (Only Lemartes isn't clear, but "Lemartes, Guardian of the Lost" makes it sound like a first name, since you typically use a style with a given name).

By Western naming conventions, is it Windsor, since that's the house she's from?  I know that all of the royal line have multiple given names...

And yes, I'm pretty sure that what we see with Blood Angels is their first name, but I also wonder if it's just a romanticized name given them by the chapter.  Even Mephiston's name isn't his real name, since he was previously Calistarius.

Nassar Amit and Morleo Moriar are also two other sons of Sanguinius to have first and last names.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't Mephiston called Calistarius (SP?) before he turned into a daemon prince? So what happened? Did he get renamed? Did he rename himself? or did he suddenly go to a first name basis with the entire chapter?

Wasn't Mephiston called Calistarius (SP?) before he turned into a daemon prince? So what happened? Did he get renamed? Did he rename himself? or did he suddenly go to a first name basis with the entire chapter?

Definitely renamed.

lol@ turned into a demon prince.  (It's so true..)

Archived