1750 - Cape Town Regional Tournament BatReps.

Morticon

Top 10 armies:

1: Orks   **** 
2: Blood Angels    
3: Tau/SM  *****
4: IG/Daemons ***
5: Chaos/IG
6: Chaos ******
7: Space Wolves
8: Blood Angels
9: Chaos
10: Dark Eldar  *

*  Asterisks denote which game I played which opponent

Honestly think that tau list would have had me cold... nasty nasty xenos filth

Dude, there's so little you can do against it.  Heavy flamers a start though! Sternguard maybe?  As said though, I screwed up by not dropping all 3 frag dreads.  

That squad is hell. They fragged me up good when I first faced 'em. What makes them so utterly ridiculous is that they don't have a 'real' weakness. Their movement is 24" no scatter, and get 2d6 jet-pack. Their shooting is just sick. And to make it worse, they ignore cover. Have good cover themselves. A lot of wounds. And even if you catch them, they're decent, due to size. Farsight is potent. So is the libby. And they get to Hit and Run on the squad's highest ini. I feel sick just thinking about them.

They'll never break, stubborn on ld 10. And they get the Libby's and ATSKNF, if they break. Defense against psychic attacks too, thanks to the hood.

Nice job, though. Well done.

Nice batreps. That Tau list seems rough. Good learning experience though. Knowing what that deathsquad is capable of will is some good thoughts on how to combat it.

Would dropping the fragiosos on it first turn work? Try and get as many rending wounds that ignore cover as possible. Layer the wounds to get the libby out of there. They become alot less dangerous.

Mort, now you've had a competitive run with this list, how do you think you would have fared if you went to the other list (dropping a Fragioso and adding in Corbs and the 2nd Grey Hunter squad)? Would you have had better scoring flexibility? Would the extra boots on the ground have provided a bit of extra longevity in certain situations (with tanking Corbs protecting the DC more)?

The Farsight Bomb is sick, but it would have been interesting to see how they stood up to three Fragiosos with Hvy Flamers coming in all at the same time. The problem with that though, obviously, is that you're tailoring to come up against that specific build. Yes it can also work against a host of other things you could face in a tourney, but then it reduces your AT capability in the process.

- I find 6th Ed at the mo can create some very effective, and in some cases killer, builds but nothing is completely infallible; something that was not as much the case in 5th with the likes of Leafblower etc.

Nice batreps. That Tau list seems rough. Good learning experience though. Knowing what that deathsquad is capable of will is some good thoughts on how to combat it.

Would dropping the fragiosos on it first turn work? Try and get as many rending wounds that ignore cover as possible. Layer the wounds to get the libby out of there. They become alot less dangerous.

YES!! Thats what I should have done. He possibly wouldnt have killed all my dreads in turn one, which would have been greatly beneficial. Would have been a vastly different game had i dont that.

With all the grief with reserves coming late and other important single roll misses: Is Corbulo coming back?

Good writing and congratulations on pole position, nationally. smile.png

Thanks for the shout out!

As you may have seen, there was a corbulo version with this list. I think the 3 dread list is stronger though, but the single pivotal rolls make me reconsider very, very, very strongly. I dont think i'll go into nationals without him.

Mort, now you've had a competitive run with this list, how do you think you would have fared if you went to the other list (dropping a Fragioso and adding in Corbs and the 2nd Grey Hunter squad)? Would you have had better scoring flexibility? Would the extra boots on the ground have provided a bit of extra longevity in certain situations (with tanking Corbs protecting the DC more)?

The Farsight Bomb is sick, but it would have been interesting to see how they stood up to three Fragiosos with Hvy Flamers coming in all at the same time. The problem with that though, obviously, is that you're tailoring to come up against that specific build. Yes it can also work against a host of other things you could face in a tourney, but then it reduces your AT capability in the process.

- I find 6th Ed at the mo can create some very effective, and in some cases killer, builds but nothing is completely infallible; something that was not as much the case in 5th with the likes of Leafblower etc.

I find your last comment incredibly on the money!!!  Its exactly how I feel about 6th at the moment, and i'm glad for it.  This list for example just folds to Corteas/Strike Squad lists.

Corbs would defs be an option- i wouldnt be able to fit much more in other than him, which is also part of the problem as id only free up 70 points.  

You 5th edition nemesis who rocked a Paladin list, did he turn up with Nurgle again or go with GKs?

(and congratulations smile.png )

Nah!! He's just had a kid, so out of the hobby for a bit. He's likely to be back at the nationals.

That farsight list is nasty, but too much one-trick-pony for my liking. Similar to the sort of player that wins the roll to place two of 3 objectives, puts them both behind his defence line manned with a bucketload of stuff, and then struts around as if he's the greatest tactical genius the world has ever seen. Not a fan. Would have loved to have seen it face Grey Knights running warp quake.

Congrats on the results though - good batreps. I like that you've missed pictures in places as it shows that you were really getting into and enjoying the games! Its a shame that sometimes its the best games that go unrecorded as a consequence.

I find your last comment incredibly on the money!!! Its exactly how I feel about 6th at the moment, and i'm glad for it. This list for example just folds to Corteas/Strike Squad lists.

Corbs would defs be an option- i wouldnt be able to fit much more in other than him, which is also part of the problem as id only free up 70 points.

If I recall correctly, you were toying with something like this:

Mephiston

Fragioso/Pod

Fragioso/Pod

Corbs

x8 DC/Pod (x3 Axes)

x10 AS (x2 MG, Fist)

Runepriest (Runic Armour)

x10 Grey Hunters/Pod (MG, PG, Axe, Banner, Wulfen)

x9 Grey Hunters/Pod (MG, Axe, Banner, Wulfen)

(It might be a bit light by 5pts or so, so I may have missed something...)

Would you have got more flexibility out of this list now that you know what you faced and what went down, or would it have taken away too much from the triple Frag assault? With the large, extra scoring squad you could have had more options with the JP squad (half bolster/scoring-half AT, or full area denial/counter etc). The extra 9/10 GH wounds in the oppo's face could potentially take longer to shift and/or draw more fire away from other targets maybe. Corbs tanking the DC wounds potentially getting more bodies in to tip the balance more favourably in the following assault?

I'm not advocating either, just keen to see what you think after the fact thumbsup.gif

I also agree that 6th seems to be more fluid compared to 5th in that active counters to tough load-outs "seem" to give you a better chance against other armies when you don't face your target army. Trying to tailor against Leafblower in 5th for example gave you a good chance of coming unstuck against a non-LB list because of the heavy slant towards that counter. This can only be good for tourney play (as well as pick-up too) and hopefully makes it more open for the top accolades across the board from the start, and by not having that 99% auto-win be a shoe-in for first place before the first dice have even rolled.

5th seemed to settle quickly after only a few books, whereas 6th seems to still be in a flux (partly because of the quick roll-out of codices too) and so much more to take in and think about with the change in game dynamics, unit updates, and basic rules. I like what they're doing, but it gives me a headache sometimes what with alllllllll the different permutations and options wink.png

Angelus, nah the list I took also had two wolf squads! :D

Only difference was more bling.  I had 7 DC and 2 axes - the corbs list also had Power Axe + Wulfen rather than one or the other. 

I think corbulo would have worked really, really well.  The problem is that with 3 AV targets coming in, you totally remove all of the enemies light shooting.  If you are going second, that means you deprive your opponent 2 full turns of light arms fire.  I think the DC would probably have to get an infernus pistol to help with alpha strike on vehicles.

Angelus, nah the list I took also had two wolf squads! biggrin.png

Only difference was more bling. I had 7 DC and 2 axes - the corbs list also had Power Axe + Wulfen rather than one or the other.

I think corbulo would have worked really, really well. The problem is that with 3 AV targets coming in, you totally remove all of the enemies light shooting. If you are going second, that means you deprive your opponent 2 full turns of light arms fire. I think the DC would probably have to get an infernus pistol to help with alpha strike on vehicles.

Ah, I mis-read, sorry.

Yeah, that's the tricky bit, having to get an infantry squad to carry the AT load of the missing Dread (when you probably want them to be more light armour/>heavy infantry focused past the drop turn), and then having torrent of fire from potentially mutliple enemy squads on your only "squishy" unit to come down at that point. Requires more attention to fire lanes and terrain to mitigate the shooting coming at them... and there goes that headache I mentioned earlier laugh.png (...loving 6th!)

Top 10 armies:

1: Orks   **** 

3: Tau/SM  *****

10: Dark Eldar  *

*  Asterisks denote which game I played which opponent

Hey Mort, there is a distinct lack of metal armies in your top 10 list, looks like I'll have to bring mine down to the Cape to come show them what they miss, hehehe ;)

Design smarter, play better!

:P 

... and carry a big gun

Top 10 armies:

1: Orks ****

3: Tau/SM *****

10: Dark Eldar *

* Asterisks denote which game I played which opponent

Hey Mort, there is a distinct lack of metal armies in your top 10 list, looks like I'll have to bring mine down to the Cape to come show them what they miss, hehehe msn-wink.gif

Hope to see your tin cans down this side for nationals, brother!!

heh, you really make me consider a trip to south africa just to play warhammer tongue.png maybe some day I will... smile.png

If you ever do, make sure its either for the Veteran's tournament, or for the Nationals. Both really, really good tournies with high quality gamers and loads of fun.

Archived