Veterans and/or Command squad

dwez

I've a Veteran upgrade sprue so I've got five tabarded guys to decide if I want them as a veteran squad or command squad. I was thinking of putting them in a drop pod, potentially getting another five, so they'd be a veteran unit, perhaps kitting them with storm bolters and flamers to root out folk behind an Aegis. I've also got some forgeworld Heresy Melta-guns or could get some plasma guns.

I'd really appreciate some advice on what weapons to give and which unit type to take, it's been a long time since I did Marines as I've been using dirty 'nids but it was about time I dusted off my Rogue Trader era metal minis and added some new bits to finally finish off my first army.

Command Squad with Standard of Devastation. It's kind of a staple unit at the moment (but not in a Drop Pod obviously).

So that's the 5 guys, swap chainsword or bolt pistol for bolters and take the Standard too, no other weapons swaps and perhaps upgrade one vet to an Apothecary. Max unit size of a command squad is 5 correct? I was sure I saw it FAQ'd to add more troops but can't see it now, must be going mad.

Ravenwing Command Squad can have more members. If you've got the points I'd give 4 of them Combi-Flamers allowing you to gain 4D3 auto hits on any charging foe. I don't tend to bother with an Apothecary but that's just me.

The apoth loses you one bolter, as he can only be equiped with a narth and chain sword. Combi weapons would be a good idea, but as stated, not in a pod.

Vets just seem lackluster, but then I am used to sterns so most things are going to be lackluster

ZP

I disagree. Veterans are not really lackluster units. Their issue is that they are overshadowed by better elites choices (DW, dreads). 

Think of your veteran squad as your swiss army knife. They can be kitted out to do anything you need them to. Anti tank? MELTA. Anti TEQ? PLASMA. Anti horde? Well honestly dakkapole solves anti horde pretty effectively but you could go mass flamers too. Vets also make a decent melee counterattack force with a couple power weapons. Cheaper and more effective then a 10 man assault squad. 

To answer your question of vets or command squad, why not both? If you have magnets simply magnetize the arms and swap out equipment as needed. If you don't have magnets, then I ask you what sort of list you're building. If you want Azrael, greenwing or any banner take them as command squad. Otherwise use them to shore up your lists' weakness(es). They also make impressive sergeants for your normal tactical squads haha.  

Archived