Locator beacon on StormRaven clarification

Ishagu

I have to disagree to the impact it had on the game the rules used wrongly, his shooting phase would not have mattered as he had a lot of close combat units which were sitting about the area they dropped. He also had flyers who were 1 destroyed and 2 off the board at the time, his necron warriors were arriving turn 4 at the far end of the table so honestly he didn't have an awful lot to actually shoot the units with.

Makes a difference as he used the necron C'tan to make all terrain difficult wrongly last week we played so we are both learning the rules I guess and mistakes can happen. I will know for the future however not sure my stormraven will have any troops to transport now as it seems a little pointless to me, why would you want to keep your troops out of combat to at least the third turn and possibly the fourth if they use the skies of fury. =S

To keep them alive and safe to claim objectives for one- 65pt bare scout squad for example. How about you sit and think of 3 possible advantages to force preservation for late game use. You'll learn more by having a think yourself than us just telling you.

This has been a fascinating, very informative and helpful read as I too will use a Stormraven in my Grey Knights army once it has been finished and painted. So if I may summarise for my own info and for your checking: if I take a Beacon on the SR, I thus

1) cannot use it to cause a non-scattering Deep Strike of anything that is on board the SR on the turn it arrives from Reserves, and

2) the Beacon cannot be used by other units which can utilise the Deep Strike rules that also arrive from reserve in the same turn as the SR

because both situations require the Beacon to be on the table at the start of the turn.

It seems strange though that the embarked units can't make use of their own Beacon on the turn they arrive from Reserves since it's on board their own transport vehicle. However, the "Start of the turn" is 'before anything actually happens', like Reserve Rolls, Psychic power rolls etc iirc so I suppose that could explain it too?

E.

This has been a fascinating, very informative and helpful read as I too will use a Stormraven in my Grey Knights army once it has been finished and painted. So if I may summarise for my own info and for your checking: if I take a Beacon on the SR, I thus

1) cannot use it to cause a non-scattering Deep Strike of anything that is on board the SR on the turn it arrives from Reserves, and

2) the Beacon cannot be used by other units which can utilise the Deep Strike rules that also arrive from reserve in the same turn as the SR

because both situations require the Beacon to be on the table at the start of the turn.

It seems strange though that the embarked units can't make use of their own Beacon on the turn they arrive from Reserves since it's on board their own transport vehicle. However, the "Start of the turn" is 'before anything actually happens', like Reserve Rolls, Psychic power rolls etc iirc so I suppose that could explain it too?

E.

Yes that is the way I am reading it too, seems a bit pointless the locator beacon on the stormraven. The stormraven itself is an actual beast and you will love it once you have one and it comes onto the field and opens with all four weapons then fires another missile with power of the machine spirit. It is very dangerous.

The locator beacon could be kept and used on turn 3+, for example if you keep a tactical squad inside it and it survives you can zoom over to an objective and drop them (without scatter) and they can then claim or contest the objective. I would doubt it lasting very long as its quite a target. I've had mine active for two games now and it has not survived past turn 5 on each.

Archived