Command Squad

Adper

I want to add a command squad with Standard of Devastation to my army for obvious reasons.  I'm still pretty new to 40k and was wondering how some of you outfit your Squad.  I know a lot of it comes down to points, but do you include Combi weapons, or power weapons in the squad?  I imagine that most opponents will target the command squad before other tactical squads nearby to try and kill the banner, so is it wise to take an apothecary for Feel No Pain?

Also, is the Apothecary's wargear limited to only a chainsword?

Depends how you'll play your squad.

I play mine in a Crusader flanked with 2 other crusaders and 2 squad of troops bikes. So I don't need an apothecary. I've given them 4 flamers cos when I disembark I lose the effect of the banner and I wanted them to keep a decent firepower.

But yeah, an apoc could be good if you plan to create a gunline in your deployment zone. In this case he does keep only his chainsword...

4 Combi-Flamers and the Standard behind an Aegis Defence Line. Comes to 205 points but gives you four Bolters (16 shots just from the Command Squad!) and 4D3 automatic hits against anyone cheeky enough to try and take you out in an assault. It's a nice deterrent, especially against horde armies who will have already have suffered a turn or two of your awesome anti-infantry firepower before getting into assault range.

If I desperately need to save points however, I'll ditch the Combi-Weapons and stick to Bolt Pistols and Chainswords; they're still Veterans after all so again they stand a decent chance of fighting off any unit that survives long enough to get into assault range. You must remember that most such units won't be coming in at full strength against a Dark Angels gunline, if they make it at all devil.gif

After the rules update, am I not right in thinking that the SoD doesn't work on bolt pistols, only bolt guns?

Correct. Bolters (including the Bolter part of a Combi-Weapon), Twin-Linked Bike Bolters and Hurricane Bolters only.

Yes, at the moment I will be using them for a gun line.  My escalation league is only at 1000 points, so I figured a BOD would be extremely powerful at this point rang.  I was thinking combi-plasma incase I had to move and shoot, but combi-flamers would be great for anti-assault.

How do people treat the command squad in matches, its it a priority target or do most people try and avoid the bubble of gun fire coming from it?

@Master Avoghai

The Banner still works while embarked in a transport?  I thought I read somewhere that it didn't, but I might be mistaken.  In that case, do you measure the effect distance from the hull of the transport?

i played a 1k game recently against the space-elves.  I can't remember my exact list, but it was something like 2 full tacticals, 1 command squad with SoD, Chaplain, 5 man Devs, and a dreadnought.  May have been a razor in there too....i can't remember

I found it worked well, but i played very statically and I split my force which lost me the Dread.  It was nice that i wiped out the HQ to overwatch fire and jetbike squad to my gunline.....but the lack of moving hurt me and it's a good job the wraithlord didnt get into range

yeah that's my only problem with the BOD is that you have to play pretty static to take advantage of it.  Even if you have to move to get into rang and your opponent kills off some of your units, next turn you're still dishing out 4 time what a normal squad would.  I will definitely have to do some play testing with it.

Archived