Azrael and Fortitude Command Squad

Caldria

Hey there guys, I was just wondering about a specific tactic and what people generally thought about it.

Having a mixed wing 1750 list (I realise Azrael is probably better for bigger points lists)

But here's what I was thinking:

Have a unit or 2 of bikes to set up tele homers (since Belial will not be present to safeguard deepstrike scatter)

Then having 2 deathwing units, one shooty and then one deathwing knight unit - deepstriking where needed, but near each other - then having Azrael come down in a drop pod with a command squad with the banner of fortitude, giving feel no pain to himself and his unit, as well as the 2 nearby termie units.

This should also at least allow for a little target saturation, since I'm thinking that Azrael's unit might not always be the "guaranteed" target, with the knights assaulting with smite the next turn etc.

I was also wondering what kind of load out you'd want for azrael's command squad besides the banner. Preferably a loadout that would dish out some devastating shooting on the round they deepstrike, and then allow for some solid shooting and/or assaulting thereafter (Also due to Azrael seeming to be of more use in combat than shooting - I don't want to JUST take him for the army wide LD10 or troop unlocks, I want him to actually take part in the match rather than act as a tax). The whole time buffing the front line termies with FnP.

then on the backlines you have a decent firebase with devs and a libby and whatever else (I'll admit I haven't yet really built a list around it, only thought about trying this recently and figured I'd find out what people thought first)

Some tacticals, dreads, etc?

Anyway, just thought I'd get your guys' opinions ^^ - thanks in advance!

Yeah, I realise that :) But the fortitude standard would only benefit the front line anyway.

The devs/dreads/libby etc would be on my backline/home objective etc. I don't think I want the entire list to revolve around the banner, because then I lose too much once it's gone. I merely want it to be a powerful single aspect of multiple other strong combinations in the list.

Well Azrael and the banner squad is going to clock in at around 400 points minimum so a quarter to a third of your points are going into 6 models. So you want to protect them at all costs, banner man needs a shield, might want to role around in a land raider also the AOE will go from the hull :)

meat shield is a best shield ;)

I'd go: banner, special, special, Jonnie Die First, Billy Die Second.

But I really don't see the point in taking PA command if you can take DW or RW command to protect the banner.

Drop Azrael with tactical squad. More meat for HQ ;)

Yeah, DW command is a better choice for sure, I just hate how expensive they are when kitted out the way they need to be - especially with the 85 point banner..

Also, I'm trying to find a way to use Azrael on the frontlines instead of sitting him at the back to shoot here and there.. He seems more suited to one turn of shooting then getting into close combat. After that single plasma shot, it's just a regular bolter with one re-roll per turn really.

Also, I think a Libby supporting devs and various other backline units like dreads or w.e seems a better choice than sticking Azrael there. He may not be a beast in combat like Abaddon and others like him, but he is certainly one of the better close combat HQs - The biggest issue with dropping him in the front like that is obviously the warlord kill being given to your opponent, but I think that would only be as big of an issue if I intended on dropping him alone out there. Since he'll be dropping with 2 or so squads of deathwing termies/knights as well as the 1-2 ravenwing units that would be there to give them a safe landing, I figured he wouldn't be in as much danger.

I dunno, I've never played with him ever, so I guess I'll have to try it out, it'll just be a while before I can. Thanks for the suggestions, more are welcome - I enjoy discussing various tactics and combos, to get the ideas flowing ^^

I reckon a couple of plasma gunners, or flamers depending on who you're playing against, and a couple of meatshields sounds like the best load out to me. You could also chuck on a Storm Shield on one of the meatshields to make them more durable, or chuck some etc close combat goodies on to them to give them some more melee bite. A powerfist would be worthwhile for some AP2 and anti-tank melee ability.

Alternatively, replace the Command Squad with a tactical squad, drop them and Azrael next to one of the Deathwing squads (not the DWKs as the Lion Helm buff is useless to them) and have Azrael leave the tacticals and join the Deathwing squad. Then his Lion Helm boosts them, he is with a squad you want to get into close combat, and there is a workable sergeant to take any challenges for him (damn the Blade of Caliban being so silly). Then take a different command squad and use their Sacred Standard elsewhere.

Archived