fist vs axe

Riggs

Well this is more geared twords my asm sgt, but does anyone ever take fist over axes anymore?

I DoA 2 combat squaded melta asm now a days but against troops lists their far les effective, so I think I'm going to do one flamer squad and one melta. Now I just want to keep the flamer sgt effective against transports so Im going to put a melta bomb on him, is it worth the 5 more pts to swap the axe n bomb for a fist?

For better or for worse (better in mho), power weapons is really up to yourself in this edition.

My opinion on the fist vs axe: axe 99% of the time. Since you specifically mention normal ASM (and not something that could take a storm shield) unles your friends also have initiative 1 characters everywhere, a fist is too expensive to kill them, and i find a melta bomb just as efficient, with hitting vehicles in melee so easy now.

K&F - true, but axes get an extra attack, and when charging, it is rare that Strength 7 has any disadvantage over Strength 9 (aside from instant killing T 4 and MC's). The extra attack can go a long way. Last game, I had to lose either a P Fist DC or P Axe DC and chose the P Fist, which paid off - the extra attack was just enough to wipe out the enemy unit.

I usually put a fist on my SP's and 1 in my DC, since they are unlikely to engage in challenges (the DC can't).

I really like Powerswords for flamer units. Generally, you will be flaming lower armor infantry, so AP 3 should always be enough. For the melta squad, I don't think you can go wrong with either set-up (axe or fist).

K&F - true, but axes get an extra attack, and when charging, it is rare that Strength 7 has any disadvantage over Strength 9 (aside from instant killing T 4 and MC's). 

I think you are confusing mauls and axes. The axe gives you +1 strength so you'll top out at S6 with furious charge. Always instagibbing T3-4 I see as a huge plus in today's world of challenges and budget HQs. 

Add to the fact that you'll wound just about anything on 2+ all the time and get 3 extra 'blips' on your pen rolls. I'll gladly fork out the extra points for a fist, specially on characters.

I had nice experience with PF/SS combo sarge ...I think it did work just becouse most people runs axes at my club therefore it was nice to see 3++/5+ FNP most of the time...

on the other hand as our codex is so over priced, save where you can go for Axes :)

With Monstrous creatures making a comeback, I think we'll be seeing more powerfists. I never leave home without 2 in my DC unit to make sure I can splat hive tyrants, daemon princes and all the new space gypsies T6+ scoring units. Especially at 4 attacks per model on the charge!

The problem is all those monstrous creatures are being handed 'character', and get an AP 2 attack option that instagibs you, so you'll never get to actually swing a fist at it with a character.  (Either you accept the challenge and die, or refuse the challenge and cower while your squad flails at it). 

The challenge rules are about the worst thing to ever happen to 40k, and are incredibly stupid not only from a game dynamics perspective (yay, return to 3rd edition no one ever uses a pf), but also from a fluff perspective (modern-like squad-based warfare does not involve personal challenges between warriors, and no one should need to sit on the sidelines watching two characters fight, that should stay in fantasy where it belongs.  Seriously, if the other squad gets destroyed, your squad should be able to dogpile their character, challenge or no).

With Monstrous creatures making a comeback, I think we'll be seeing more powerfists. I never leave home without 2 in my DC unit to make sure I can splat hive tyrants, daemon princes and all the new space gypsies T6+ scoring units. Especially at 4 attacks per model on the charge!

The problem is all those monstrous creatures are being handed 'character', and get an AP 2 attack option that instagibs you, so you'll never get to actually swing a fist at it with a character.  (Either you accept the challenge and die, or refuse the challenge and cower while your squad flails at it). 

The challenge rules are about the worst thing to ever happen to 40k, and are incredibly stupid not only from a game dynamics perspective (yay, return to 3rd edition no one ever uses a pf), but also from a fluff perspective (modern-like squad-based warfare does not involve personal challenges between warriors, and no one should need to sit on the sidelines watching two characters fight, that should stay in fantasy where it belongs.  Seriously, if the other squad gets destroyed, your squad should be able to dogpile their character, challenge or no).

He was talking about 'hidden' fists in the DC. Still a target for precision strikes but not something you can kill in a challenge. I think fists have a place on both characters and normal troops, but you can't just throw them at everything without thinking things through. 

Agreed that that challenge mechanics and things like the weapons shape having such an impact on its stats should have stayed in fantasy. But like it or not they are here to stay for the remainder of the edition.

Archived