Eldar as allies

Demoulius

Hey all,

Just got in my shiney copy of the Eldar codex and been reading through it a little. With all the talk about how to battle Eldar ive noticed noone is talking about what they can bring as allies. I think they got some nice options that can help us in some areas where we struggle. Mind im saying nice, I dont think theyre the best option for allies for us tbh...

First of all though lets examine what Eldar cant bring. (anymore) Psychic defense across the board is one of those things that they lost. Likewise they lost the option to pick what powers they wanted to take as its all random now. Likewise they dont got any decent anti-air options other then their fighter (imho) which is fragile and compared to some (lets say vendetta) expensive for what it does. Considering we also got acces to a stormraven I dont see eldar beeing used for that area in particular ermm.gif Likewise their assault troops are somewhat fragile in combat as theyre toughness 3 across the board (special characters and wraith models aside) so you wont want to use them for that.

So what can they bring?

Cheap troops: Well what ive noticed is that their troops are INCREDIBLY cheap! Specialy compared to ours! Lets take rangers as an example. For 1 point less then a scout they basicly get +1WS/BS/I, fleet and stealth at the expense of Strength/toughness/-1 to armor. But considering sniper scouts generally rely on their cover saves against alot of firepower anyway I think Eldar rangers are the better option :) things that ignore cover (heavy flamer, baleflamer) generally wound on a 3+ or 2+ anyway whilst ignoring cover and armor so the toughness of 3 is hardly a downside.

Lets look at another example: dire avengers. Same price as a scout. Better WS/BS then scouts. Poor toughness and strength. Better initiative and leadership. Save is the same. Good mobility caused by fleet and battle focus (eldar specific rule), got counter attack and depending on what you give the exarch you can make them more shooty, give the entire squad an invul save or cause ID in challenges. Also their main weapon is pretty awesome, see the next point:

Shuriken weaponry autowound and become AP2 on to wound rolls of a 6. Whilst range is limited to 18 inch max for avenger shurican catapults this pretty much means that they can be used against anything with a toughness value. Its kinda like rending light though as it doesent work against vehicles whistlingW.gif Considering you get 2 shots per guardian/dire avenger you got some (potentially) nasty suprises for MC's laugh.png Im not talking about the heavier shurican weaponry here (although they have the same rule) because generally we like mobility and those are only available on vehicles or as weapon platforms for guardians. And those have (TBH) alot better options...

Mobility. Eldar jetbikers are a cheap and very mobile troop choice. For 1 point less then an assault marine youve got a cone head on a flying bike :) not bad at all. Specialy at speedy objective nabbings at the end of a game devil.gif or just turbo boosting across the field and beeing a general pain in the backside! Their HQ's got an option (remnants of glory) to give an IC a run move of 48 inches! Easiest way to get a line breaker victory point if I ever heard one...

Cheap monstrous creatures! At 20 points more then a bare assault squad you can take a wraithlord. At toughness 8 and S8 can dish out and take a punch. Only got 3 wounds though so while theyre all but immume to small arms fire AT weapons will bring them down fast eek.gif Interesting to note is that the wraithlord is a character. He might be a good way to take out an opponents warlord as generally not alot of HQ models can wound something with T8! If your opponent denies a challenge pick out a dangerous character in his unit and turn his troops into paste. Krak grenades still wound on a 6+ but allow your 3+ save.

For twice the points of a wraithlord you can take a wraithknight, basicly the wraithlords big brother. Base costs is twice that of the wraithlord. And also one that can potentially dish out 3 S6 AP2 templates at 36 inches a turn. The upgrade costs the same as a heavy bolter AB and comes included with an invunerable save (not a bad thing to have for a pricey MC) combat isent this things forte though and while it has 6 wounds and T8 its nothing that some dedicated shooting (or combat) cant bring down. Its statline other then strength and toughness arent anything special.

Wraiths! (without wings): Wraithguard are the smaller cousins of wraithlords. At 8 points less then a terminator they have toughness 6, strength 5 and a 3+ save. Their short ranged wraithcannon hit things at 12 inch with S10 AP2 and with BS4 theyre not bad shots. They can also equip S4 AP2 flamers. Their weapons got a rule that turns any roll of a 6 to wound into an auto-wound that causes instant death! 6 to penetrate causes an instant penetrating hit! Not bad at all but like I said the range of 12 inches is very limited. Theyre only infantry though and without a transport slow. Eldar transport options are expensive however so unless you really want that S10 AP2 I wouldnt take them cry.gif

The other kind of wraith unit that they have are wraithblades. S/T/Save/etc the same as the wraithguard. Their initial load out (double powersword with +1S) makes them pretty good at cutting up MEQ. Considering the weapons make them S6 its nothing to sniff at. They got an option to take a master crafted +2S AP2 axe with a 4+ invul save though thats probably alot more interesting. Specialy since its free! thumbsup.gif

Conclusion:

Eldar provide some interesting options for us. Tbh if your making a tourney list I wouldnt look in their dex (dark angels or space wolves got alot of better/effective options and are battle brothers) but if your making a fluffy list or want to add some flavour they got some pretty awesome things in their codex. :) The models are (IMHO) nice and the Eldar have always been something to interest me. Probably the look of their models combined with their lore.

Im going to work on a small detachment to add to my blood angels (probably farseer, some dire avengers and a wraithlord, maybe more) and il see how that works for me. Not a bad codex, and definitely not a game breaking one either! Well done by GW thumbsup.gif

Great analysis!

If anything you've made me want to start Eldar. They look unique, fun to build and paint, and generally I want to give them a go.

From our update on how/where allies may be discussed here at the B&C...

HOWEVER this does not mean we won’t let you discuss your allies. You will be restricted to where you can discuss them though.

If your army list is 2 armies currently covered by the B&C as allies then you can discuss them wherever it is appropriate for that. But if your allies list contains armies we do not cover (i.e. Xenos and Imperial Guard) then your lists and how best to use your non power armor allies will be restricted to the Tactica and Army List forums. Obviously full Xenos and IG armies won’t be allowed at all. Nor will a Xenos/IG army with Marines/Sisters/Chaos as allies. Because lets be honest, if you are allying with vile Xenos then your Chapter should be hunted down, destroyed and the ashes used to salt the earth.msn-wink.gif

So this topic is being moved to the Tactica forum.

Archived