revamping the StormTater... er StormTalon.

Okay so I've been experimenting with the Storm Talon in my army lately. I still hate the model but it's performance has been really good, too good to ignore so I'm going to build a squadron of three of these birdies. But I hate the model. So what am I going to do? What any sensible converter would do: Re-make it!

Here's why I'm posting. Feed back and suggestions for where and how to go about accomplishing this. I'm leaning toward something more like a cross between the Apache helocopter and the Banshee Bomber from StarCraft II.

Visual references for those who do not know what I am talking about:

Apache:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/ah64d_apache_longbow_zpse9bc3289.jpg

StarCraft II's Terrain Banshee Bomber:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/banshee-sized_zps66cf62f6.jpg

So, those are the two craft I like parts and pieces of and want to draw from to craft a new version of the Storm Talon. So I went into Photoshop and started working on it. I began with the Banshee, thinking I could take the paper-craft models I've seen around the net and modify them as needed.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/my_talon_design-01_zps3621517d.png

So I extended the tail rotor, and added the Talon's engines. It's an OK start but I feel like I'm loosing too much of the Space Marine in this approach.

So I started working with the Talon itself:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/talon_v2_zpsb0adbd87.png

And did the first obvious thing: Extended the tail. Okay that helps a fair amount, but there's still more to accomplish with it. So I continued working and came up with what I'm calling Version 2.1:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/talon_v21_zpsfba8c583.png

I like the smaller assault cannon and pairing it with some sort of scanner array, I think I can get away with calling it Twin-linked. But this didn't work for me. So I went to the Apache for reference and started looking at a couple things.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/talon_v22_zps75f86009.png

Which gives rise to Version 2.2. Still keeping the smaller assault cannon but and mounting it more or less where the huge clucky Twin-linked one was. I'm going to build a better mount for it, one that will allow the entire weapon to rotate and elevate more like what's on the Apache. I want to build the nose so it has the 2-axis rotational sensor array in it like the apache but I wasn't sure how to accomplish that with the drawings. 

I can't decide weather to add landing skids, like a helicopter or go with wheels like on the Apache. Anyone any thoughts one way or another on that point?

Or about anything else with my designs thus far?

I think I prefer the 2.1 tail on the 2.2 nose. As an alternative, have you considered the Dart Talon/Nephilim as a base model to counts as Talon?

Cheers,

Jono

I have. If I were using the Talon as a jet fighter or something similar the Nephilim would work. But I'm using it more as an attack chopper. Plus the Nephilim suffers from some of the same design issues as the Talon model in my opinion so I'd still be trying to re-design it.

I prefer 2.1, though I'd take the guns from 2.2 as I don't think you'll want to lose the turreted nature of the AC as that's very useful. The nose and tail look too large on 2.2.

The tail was too large, I didn't size it correctly for the image.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/talon_v23_zps6dfb4a50.png

I agree, it feels a little too long but it looks good. Still not sure about modifying the nose though and the landing rails don't really look 40k as everything seems to use feet.

This will be quite the project, any idea when you might plan to start construction?

IMO the tail is still slightly too long on the newest approach, but it looks massively better than the original.

these are just concepts, not blue prints. I don't have a kit on hand right now to take a ruler and caliper to in order to get proper measurements. The tail on the physical model will probably only be 2-2.5" long. I know in the image it looks more like it'd be 4-5". I just did that so I could make the tail assembly viewable.

I agree, it feels a little too long but it looks good. Still not sure about modifying the nose though and the landing rails don't really look 40k as everything seems to use feet.

This will be quite the project, any idea when you might plan to start construction?

Probably sometime next week after my next check. I want to hammer out where I'm going before I get on the road and start driving.

Whatever you do, I would suggest you lengthen the wings out slightly, not too much.

Why? I was actually thinking of getting rid of the wings entirely. I mean on the Apache the 'wings' serve as armament hard points, but other wise serve nearly no purpose. On the Talon they're too small to provide any sort of lift (not that the craft is actually flight capable) and in a bad location to serve as weapon hard points. I just don't see the 'wings' on this thing actually being functional in any meaningful way.

Why? I was actually thinking of getting rid of the wings entirely. I mean on the Apache the 'wings' serve as armament hard points, but other wise serve nearly no purpose. On the Talon they're too small to provide any sort of lift (not that the craft is actually flight capable) and in a bad location to serve as weapon hard points. I just don't see the 'wings' on this thing actually being functional in any meaningful way.

Or that. It's just with the talon being lengthened it stops looking stubby, and would end up looking too thin in my eyes. Perhaps bigger rotors on the sides? These are just suggestions mind.

• 4 months later...

okay okay been a while I know. between work and school time's kind of gotten away from me. I haven't started on the work proper for this project yet, I'm still waiting for a couple other things to come in the mail. BUUUUUT I have compiled a video explaining my plans for the project when those last materials finally arrive. Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

Part 2 is now up!

In this part of the video log I talk about installing the LEDs in the belly thrusters, modifying the belly to use a different style of flight stand, and the base which I got as a commission from Dragon Forge Design.

Enjoy. Already starting work on Part 3.

Better watch out, or the designer behind Blue Thunder will get angry :-)

It's going in my Blood Ravens army. Won't be blue. msn-wink.gif

Goodness,

I was wondering when we were going to get part 2! Ah, you're getting the LED portions out of the way first. Good idea, but not too much to ogle over really (well, besides the inspired base idea) Looking forward to part 3!

Yeah my video software ran into a problem I had to restart the entire video. That sunk a lot of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you thought about modifying the dark angels fighter into a storm talon? Change out the mega bolter for twin linked assault cannons and you should be good.

I think I prefer the 2.1 tail on the 2.2 nose. As an alternative, have you considered the Dart Talon/Nephilim as a base model to counts as Talon?

Cheers,

Jono

I have. If I were using the Talon as a jet fighter or something similar the Nephilim would work. But I'm using it more as an attack chopper. Plus the Nephilim suffers from some of the same design issues as the Talon model in my opinion so I'd still be trying to re-design it.

Something like this?

http://scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/StormOrca/IMG_8016.jpg

same direction, yes. But not that end result. Very nice work by the way.

Tx.  Didn't mean to hijack your thread in any way.  In my build, I lengthened the nose, but followed the original contour of the body frame.  That's how sharp it can get.  If you want to follow the Apache style, then a box nose would need to be constructed and you can extrude it out.  The tail I know will be different and the engines are going to stay stock.  I was going more for an Orca build...

What other changes might you do? 

Archived