Is it so wrong?

Dominaeus

I've been reading about competitive (read Tournament) Blood Angels lists, and quite a bit of skepticism about the relative effectiveness of Descent of Angels lists in 6th Edition.

I chose Blood Angels simply because I want a table full of Assault Squads.  Nothing about 40K is as rewarding to me as charging into a unit of enemy models and obliterating them in a storm of Chain Swords, Power Weapons, and Power Fists (and looking pretty darned good while doing it!).

If I win, great.  If I don't win, well,...... as long as I hacked a good portion of my opponents Army into little tiny bits, I'm happy.

Am I so wrong?

It's not wrong at all.

The competetive point of view is different from yours. There are a lot of different ways to enjoy the game. Some people like tourney-focused play/creating effective lists - others go for what they like and fun games. At the end of the day, only your approach matters and the joy you derive from it.

I've been reading about competitive (read Tournament) Blood Angels lists, and quite a bit of skepticism about the relative effectiveness of Descent of Angels lists in 6th Edition.

I chose Blood Angels simply because I want a table full of Assault Squads. Nothing about 40K is as rewarding to me as charging into a unit of enemy models and obliterating them in a storm of Chain Swords, Power Weapons, and Power Fists (and looking pretty darned good while doing it!).

If I win, great. If I don't win, well,...... as long as I hacked a good portion of my opponents Army into little tiny bits, I'm happy.

Am I so wrong?

How long have you been playing?

Even the fluffiest of fluffbunnies and the most pure hobbyists tend to get tired of losing all the time. It might not bother you now but eventually it could turn you off the hobby completely. I've seen it happen.

Besides, even if you enjoy massed jumpers (I do, despite arguing against them all the time) there are many fun things in our codex that are stronger. Perhaps you would enjoy them if you tried? Proxy and borrow, experiment and try new things. smile.png

If I may?

I have a similar ethos to you, but at the opposite end of the spectrum; There is nothing I like more than hammering the enemy with Bolter shells, even if technically, some heavier weapons might be more appropriate. Leaping out of a Rhino and unleashing a volley of 0.75 calibre mass reactive death at an enemy squad is heaven for me. Is it effective? Not always. Does it lead to counter-charges that typically see a great many battle brothers dead? More often than I'd like, but to me it epitomises the Astartes way of war.

I've been playing for around 15 years and my win-loss ratio is not great. Having said that, I do have a Ravenwing standby list for those occasions that I'm feeling competitive and I fancy showing off the true power of the Chapter teehee.gif

Dont ask whats the most competitive- youll just find people saying the same thing over and over again. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong.

Go out and try it. Proxy for a few games, get a feel for it. You can find perfect lists that take on all comers... and use very little of the 'standard fare'. Sometimes something as small as a few weapon options here and there can really change how a list competes in tournament, and thats before we even get into the meta of your area....

You like jump packs? Find a way to makem work.

I chose Blood Angels simply because I want a table full of Assault Squads.  Nothing about 40K is as rewarding to me as charging into a unit of enemy models and obliterating them in a storm of Chain Swords, Power Weapons, and Power Fists (and looking pretty darned good while doing it!).

If I win, great.  If I don't win, well,...... as long as I hacked a good portion of my opponents Army into little tiny bits, I'm happy.

Am I so wrong?

This is where the problem lies. An army full of assault squads is not a DoA list.

A DoA list is one that is designed to use the DoA rule every time, without regard to the opposition. A DoA list takes units with packs, and then kickes them out of thunderhawks onto the opponent, deepstriking, because of the thinking:

"Blood Angels have special rules to make them better deep strikers, this is how they should be played"

The only thing you are wrong about is thinking that an army full of assault marines is automatically a DoA army.

If you set up on table and rushe across to kill the opponent: that is not a DoA army.

Thank you all for the replies. There is some great advice above. I've learned the following:

1.) DoA has a place in 40K....the trick is knowing when it is most appropriate to use it.

2.) Trying out something new or different with your preferred setup can lead to greater successes. (Maybe Deepstriking Termies or a Drop-Pod Dread to go with my masses of Assault Squads?)

3.) Few things will make my opponents blood run cold faster than staring across the table at 60ish Jump Pack equipped Blood Angels, barely able to control the Black Rage (maybe some of them clad in Black Armor furiously howling about spilling your blood).

Thank you all for your input. I'll try to keep you abreast of my progress with BatReps as soon as I can!

Archived