Sternguard in a DA Army

So brothers,

I love Assault Squads (as has been noted by a few) but I also love sternguard. They are one of the major units that got me into the hobby. This of course leads to a problem since we can't have them in our codex. How do we fix this? Allies of course. Now like several of you it almost makes me ill to include allies in our beloved DA but well I don't see this going away anytime probably not even next edition so I might as well get the units I love and go from there. Hence why I will be buying two stormtalons and adding some podded sternguard to the venerable DA's. So my point and question of all this is simple. What is the best way to incorporate sternguard into our lists specifically for a drop pod army. Do I take BA and ally a Libby? Codex marines and do the same? For troops should I just do a unit of scouts?  I also am wondering how any of you have found the stormtalon from a tactics stand point. Will it compliment the DA's lack of anti air? Any help with these two units and incorporating them into our Da would be helpful.

Thanks,
DoC Sgt

Scouts, sternguard in pod, Librarian storm talon and paint them up like deathwatch! That's what I plan on doing to get them into my army at some point.

The DA codex has the Veterans however they don't get any of the cool ammo with their combi weapons. Now regular C:SM get them and the stormtalons, As for C:BA my first army they get sternguard and stormravens which is a heavy support and amazing. Most people on the BA side love the drop pod sternguard and they tend to put them with a libby and give them codex powers of shield of sanguinius and either fear of the darkness or unleash rage, however prescience is used too. with the points you will spend on 2 stormtalons you can get a stormraven. I don't have any experience with/against the talon what so ever so I am lacking in the tactics, but they take up fast attack slots which are vital to the C:DA. To get sternguard you still need a troop and if you are keeping it as cheap as possible take 5sniper scouts w/ camo cloaks at 90pts-ish(they have always made their points and then some for me don't know if its my meta or not). There is a long discussion on a drop pod(Null deployment) army in the BA army list section and it seems to work for those guys in their meta. Its an awsome concept and hey if it helps to keep it fluffy BA and DA were first featured together in the Angels of Death codex a long time ago.

Why are you planning to buy 2 Stormtalons? iirc they aren't transports, so you could only ever field 1 in an allied contingent......

i like jeremy1391's Deathwatch idea...although part of me shudders at the thought of getting too close to the Inquisition! ;)

If forgeworld is allowed, you can make a tenth company like division with Asarath Redth, who’s Chapter tactics is Infiltrate.

Get him (who can take divination) a scout squad, A sternguard squad made for up close, and maybe a storm talon, and you have a pretty nice Force that can deny a flank early on.

Also, doesn't the unforgiven have thier own DeathWatch?

Interesting fluff note - the Angels of Absolution have been stated to field sternguard squads in Imperial Armor. (Siege of Vraks, vol 2 or 3) If you really wanted to remain 'Unforgiven', in crunch terms ally in C: SMs but paint them as Angels of Absolution? 

A possible combo if you don't mind paying a bit extra is to ally in BA and use captain Tycho as your HQ. Yeah it gets expensive real quick, but he can use special rounds as well, and he ignores armor saves in melee combat. But you pay maybe a 100 points or so more then a normal librarian. 

I think we're missing one thing here on the allies front. Base SM Librarians get Biomancy. If I were inclined to allie for Sternguard I would take a unit of scouts for troop (not too blinged out and held in reserve to outflank for an objective grab) an Epistolary Librarian with Sternguard in a Drop Pod (got to love 12 model capacity Drop Pods sweat.gif ). Then for the Librarian I would take Null Zone and probably Gate. Depending who I was facing I would either keep those two (especially if you're facing Daemons) or I would roll up on Biomancy hoping for enfeeble and praying for Endurance.

Just my two cents :)

Thanks for all the heads up guys. Keep it up please I'm liking this. Forgot about 1 FA slot for allied contingent. I guess I could take mostly BA or C:SM and ally DA but a part of me would probably die inside. But two Stormtalons seem too good to pass up sooooooo I guess either I use my Drop pods as BA and keep my DA as mostly Ravenwing and Deathwing or I Sternguard it and "call them DA's" with using allies? Does anyone have a fluff/heartburn with using Sternguard aside from they aren't in the codex obviously.

I guess I'm a bit of an odd one. I love Jump Packs, I love Drop Pods. I kind of like the Death Company. I love Sternguard. But I also love Deathwing.............like but not love Ravenwing (Don't think I'll ever have a full contingent) I like Azrael and the thought of Greenwing but hate Rhino's and "meching" aside rom tri Landraider.

What do you guys think am I using the wrong codex for my PA? Should I stick with the Elites of the 1st and 2nd companies and just give up my robes for those glittering ones who like to drink blood? Help I am having a crisis of Chapters (after reading through this site it seems to happen a lot to us.)

I'd do up your ally force as a DA Successor (make your own, if you'd like!) of your choice and use whichever codex you end up liking the unit options of better.

Actually Stormravens seems a way better with their A12 and the fact that most AA weapons are S5...

Anyway...

Personnally I plan to add an allied contingent with Storm raven, sternguard and thunderfire cannon. I'll use the codex SM and it will represent the DA Armoury going to war.

HQ : Master of the forge

ELITE : Sternguard (count as Techapprentices going to war to "experiment" the new weapons from the forge)

TROOPS : SM in a pod with flamer/combiflamer (represents the apprentice who made their vow to the machine God hence they dont have grim resolution)

alternative troops choice : scouts with Telion (represent scouts with Naaman)

FA : Stormraven

HS : Thunderfire cannon

Archived